Oil and Gas B - School

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Oil and Gas B - School

by Slappy Sanchez » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:58 pm
I have worked in finance and accounting for the past two years but upon working a project for an oil and gas company being investigated by the government I realized that I really want to get into the oil and gas business.

I have a BA from a small local school, even with work experience my GPA is brought up, and my GPA was anything but amazing. I believe that my best option on getting into this industry would be by going back to school and getting an MBA, but which one? I know I want to work in finance, and possibly as a trader.

Having a 2.6 GPA and a 690 GMAT what schools should I be looking into? I am new to B - School research, but I do know that not all schools are created equal, and as such if I want to get into oil and gas going to a school geared more towards that industry is key. Where should I look? How should I research these schools?

If anyone is currently in this field, and could lend me his or her wisdom that would be great.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:34 pm
Hi Slappy Sanchez

You can look at areas like Texas, Michigan, Indiana etc which have scope for such a field.

Some schools you can look at are:

1. Rice University
2. Texas A and M
3. Michigan State University
4. Purdue University
5. Pennsylvania State University

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Manya Abroad Team

Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:59 am
We have recently helped few people with background in Schlumberger and Shell to get into top business schools.
Though, your GMAT score is within range for some of these schools, your GPA is on the lower side. My suggestion would be to repeat GMAT and get a higher score in order to compensate your low GPA. Also, the average work experience in most B-schools is 4 to 5 years. So, I will also suggest you to gain some more work experience. Promotions in your work experience will also help in improving your profile. Two years experience is on the lower side.

Based on the number of alumni working in the oil and natural gas sector, UT-Austin's Mc Combs School of business, Harvard Business School and Rice University's Jones Graduate School of Business, are the top three for an MBA in this field. With your existing scores and profile, HBS will be very difficult but you should definitely apply to McCombs and Jones. Other US B-Schools that offer a concentration in oil and natural gas are UC Berkley-Haas, Michigan-Ross, Duke- Fuqua, and Carnegie Mellon - Tepper.

You have given very brief information to evaluate your profile. What is your educational background? Which university? Where did you work? Any promotions? Extra curricular activities? What are your long term goals? etc

You can check out this article for more info on the best B schools for oil and natural gas and energy sector.
https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-bu ... rgy-sector

All the Best
www.interviewbay.com

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:35 pm
If you want to be in oil and gas and with your stats, I would check out some schools in Texas. I think your stretch school would be UT McCombs. But you should also look at Rice and SMU. You might also consider UC Berkeley Haas, but I think that would be quite a stretch given your profile.