Test Date:
∞ →
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

OG13 SC Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, hav

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:18 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
    B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
    C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
    D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
    E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,

OA: B

richacrunch2@gmail.com
    1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
    2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 am
    Quote:
    Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
    B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
    C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
    D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
    E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,
    In A, the first it (singular) does not agree with its intended antecedent, starfish (plural). Eliminate A.

In D, the second they (plural) does not agree with its intended antecedent, arm (singular). Eliminate D.

In C and E, sometimes by the animal and sometimes with the animal imply a nonsensical meaning: that the lost arm is replaced sometimes NOT BY the animal or sometimes WITHOUT the animal.
    Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is B.

Where a modifier is placed affects MEANING.
    Always notice when a modifier such as SOMETIMES changes position in the answer choices.
    In the OA, sometimes correctly modifies overcompensating and growing:
    If one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal SOMETIMES OVERCOMPENSATING AND GROWING an extra one or two.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    richachampion Legendary Member
    Posted:
    678 messages
    Followed by:
    24 members
    Test Date:
    ∞ →
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    In A, the first it (singular) does not agree with its intended antecedent, starfish (plural). Eliminate A.

In D, the second they (plural) does not agree with its intended antecedent, arm (singular). Eliminate D.

In C and E, sometimes by the animal and sometimes with the animal imply a nonsensical meaning: that the lost arm is replaced sometimes NOT BY the animal or sometimes WITHOUT the animal.
    Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is B.

Where a modifier is placed affects MEANING.
    Always notice when a modifier such as SOMETIMES changes position in the answer choices.
    In the OA, sometimes correctly modifies overcompensating and growing:
    If one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal SOMETIMES OVERCOMPENSATING AND GROWING an extra one or two.
    Thanks, Mr. Hunt,

I have a specific question here -
    If X, then Y

Here X and Y needs to be in the same voice; I mean active - active or passive-passive.

One author is saying so. Click Here.

richacrunch2@gmail.com
    1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
    2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:56 am
    richachampion wrote:
    I have a specific question here -
    If X, then Y

Here X and Y needs to be in the same voice; I mean active - active or passive-passive.

One author is saying so. Click Here.
    The OE in the OG13 states the following:
    In a conditional sentence if X, (then) Y, rhetorical flow is enhanced by the two clauses sharing the same structure. If one clause is passive, the other should be passive; if one clause is active, the other should be active, too.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.

Thanked by: richachampion
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    bubblehead0922 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    19 messages
    Post Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:41 pm
    Hi GMATGuruNY,

Can you please explain the logical connection between "with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing" and the rest of the sentence? What does this modifier modify to?

Thx for your time in advance,
    Victoria

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:42 am
    bubblehead0922 wrote:
    Hi GMATGuruNY,

Can you please explain the logical connection between "with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing" and the rest of the sentence? What does this modifier modify to?

Victoria
    Generally, a COMMA + with modifier that follows a clause serves to modify the preceding action.
    OA: It is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.
    Here, the action is blue (the arm is quickly replaced) happens WITH the event in green (the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two).
    In other words, when the starfish replaces the arm, it sometimes overcompensates and grows one or two extra arms (in addition to the one being replaced).

Thanked by: bubblehead0922
    bubblehead0922 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    19 messages
    Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:43 am
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    bubblehead0922 wrote:
    Hi GMATGuruNY,

Victoria
    Generally, a COMMA + with modifier that follows a clause serves to modify the preceding action.
    OA: It is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.
    Here, the action is blue (the arm is quickly replaced) happens WITH the event in green (the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two).
    In other words, when the starfish replaces the arm, it sometimes overcompensates and grows one or two extra arms (in addition to the one being replaced).
    Thx, GMATGuruNY. It makes sense that "with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two" modifies " being quickly replaced".

The reason that "the animal" is placed between the proposition "with" and the present participle "overcompensating and growing" is that the subject of " it is quickly replaced" is "it ", referring one arm. Since "being quickly replaced" and "overcompensating and growing" are performed by two different agents, " the animal" is required to clarify the meaning of the propositional phrase, right?

WIth the same logic, can I say that the "the animal" in option C, " they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating", is redundant? Since "they" and "the animal" are both referring to starfish, it is not necessary to repeat it twice.

If the main clause is active (option C), there is no need to lead the action "overcompensating and growing " with "the animal" in the propositional phrase. On the other hand, if the main clause is passive (option B), then a subject referring to "the starfish" would be required to complete the meaning in the propositional pharse.

Thx for your time.

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:33 am
    bubblehead0922 wrote:
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    bubblehead0922 wrote:
    Hi GMATGuruNY,

Victoria
    Thx, GMATGuruNY. It makes sense that "with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two" modifies " being quickly replaced".

The reason that "the animal" is placed between the proposition "with" and the present participle "overcompensating and growing" is that the subject of " it is quickly replaced" is "it ", referring one arm. Since "being quickly replaced" and "overcompensating and growing" are performed by two different agents, " the animal" is required to clarify the meaning of the propositional phrase, right?

WIth the same logic, can I say that the "the animal" in option C, " they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating", is redundant? Since "they" and "the animal" are both referring to starfish, it is not necessary to repeat it twice.

If the main clause is active (option C), there is no need to lead the action "overcompensating and growing " with "the animal" in the propositional phrase. On the other hand, if the main clause is passive (option B), then a subject referring to "the starfish" would be required to complete the meaning in the propositional pharse.

Thx for your time.
    These lines of reasoning seem valid.

Thanked by: bubblehead0922

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 61 topics
    3 Roland2rule 61 topics
    4 ardz24 40 topics
    5 VJesus12 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

102 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

99 posts
    4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

86 posts
    5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

80 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts