Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

OG SC question #171 "so as to vs so that"

This topic has 20 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next
xeqtr Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Joined
15 Mar 2008
Posted:
59 messages
Thanked:
2 times
Test Date:
April I hope
Target GMAT Score:
720
OG SC question #171 "so as to vs so that" Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:58 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

    A ...
    B and so could be married to
    C to be married to
    D so that he could marry
    E in order that he would marry

    QA:D

    So what is wrong with A? I think it sounds quite rite, since as to means in order to. one may say it is not clear who marry who, but I thin subject King Henry is clearly reffered to marry Anne Boleyn section. I though for a sec for the correct answer as well but thought A is clearer and shorter and went for it since I dont think there's a hard evidence for it to be wrong. Thnx in advance for your assistance!

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    camitava GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    05 Sep 2007
    Posted:
    645 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Thanked:
    34 times
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 am
    xeqtr wrote:
    In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

    A ...
    B and so could be married to
    C to be married to
    D so that he could marry
    E in order that he would marry

    QA:D

    So what is wrong with A? I think it sounds quite rite, since as to means in order to. one may say it is not clear who marry who, but I thin subject King Henry is clearly reffered to marry Anne Boleyn section. I though for a sec for the correct answer as well but thought A is clearer and shorter and went for it since I dont think there's a hard evidence for it to be wrong. Thnx in advance for your assistance!
    OK! Got ur point, xeqtr! This is, u can say, some GMAT speciality. If u refer the first half of the sentence - In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage - The king was looking for something about his marriage whereas in the last half - so as to marry Anne Boleyn.- is saying the king is doing something so as to marry. These two parts do not become parallel in action and meaning.

    _________________
    Correct me If I am wrong


    Regards,

    Amitava

    camitava GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    05 Sep 2007
    Posted:
    645 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Thanked:
    34 times
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 am
    xeqtr wrote:
    In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

    A ...
    B and so could be married to
    C to be married to
    D so that he could marry
    E in order that he would marry

    QA:D

    So what is wrong with A? I think it sounds quite rite, since as to means in order to. one may say it is not clear who marry who, but I thin subject King Henry is clearly reffered to marry Anne Boleyn section. I though for a sec for the correct answer as well but thought A is clearer and shorter and went for it since I dont think there's a hard evidence for it to be wrong. Thnx in advance for your assistance!
    OK! Got ur point, xeqtr! This is, u can say, some GMAT speciality. If u refer the first half of the sentence - In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage - The king was looking for something about his marriage whereas in the last half - so as to marry Anne Boleyn.- is saying the king is doing something so as to marry. These two parts do not become parallel in action and meaning.

    _________________
    Correct me If I am wrong


    Regards,

    Amitava

    xeqtr Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Joined
    15 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    59 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Test Date:
    April I hope
    Target GMAT Score:
    720
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:45 pm
    Hi, thx for the explanation.
    However if you take out "to Queen Catherine " and have a look at the sentence:

    In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.


    So King is trying to bring his marriage to an end in order to marry Anne Boleyn, seems parallel doesnt it? sorry if I could not get your point Crying or Very sad
    edit:
    Do you just look the parallelism between "sought to have his marriage to Queent Catherina and to marry Anne Boleyn" ??



    camitava wrote:
    OK! Got ur point, xeqtr! This is, u can say, some GMAT speciality. If u refer the first half of the sentence - In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage - The king was looking for something about his marriage whereas in the last half - so as to marry Anne Boleyn.- is saying the king is doing something so as to marry. These two parts do not become parallel in action and meaning.

    boston_mba Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Joined
    17 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    10 messages
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:37 pm
    I see your point xeqtr and I agree with you.

    Here's a general question - have you guys noticed such questions (where the answers are based on very subtle nuances) in the OG? Is the Manhattan SC a particularly difficult (and maybe even misleading) reference?

    I am curious because I've been working through the OG (about 30% done with it) and there isn't too much ambiguity about the right answer to a question.

    Just wondering - it is VERY VERY possible that I am justifying my lack of grammar knowledge with this thinking Smile. But honestly, I don't do that badly on the OG but do very poorly in the SC's posted in this forum. Not good for the confidence.

    What are people's thoughts?

    xeqtr Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Joined
    15 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    59 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Test Date:
    April I hope
    Target GMAT Score:
    720
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:57 pm
    hi boston, thanks for your opinion, indeed this is a OG 10 question, however in answer explanation it does not tell why A is wrong and when this is the case it has no use for me in understanding the real reason behind it. Either my grammar is not advanced enough or GMAT has its own way (I mean seriously different than general English grammar rules) in interpreting the questions and stating the errors! I do quite well on RC and CR but SC is really a hassle and I am not really confident how to improve it in a short time! Manhattan SC is simply not enough to solve this kind of questions I have to regret.

    boston_mba Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Joined
    17 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    10 messages
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:04 pm
    OG question - well, this is really helping my confidence Smile

    Well, if it's any comfort, here's someone else who chose A as well -

    http://chrisworth.com/2007_05_01_archive.html


    And according to him, D is right because:

    "I chose A, but this one's borderline: strict grammar is the answer, not everyday usage. The sentence raises a conditional, which is only answered by making the second half dependent on the first half, which means D."

    I don't get it completely but it makes a little sense. However, I am not confident I'd correctly answer a similar question in the future and that's the bad news.

    Any Residential GMAT gurus have ideas on this question please?

    boston_mba Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Joined
    17 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    10 messages
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 pm
    Aha!!! Found it!

    http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentence-correction/2068-so-so-such.html

    Good explanation there!

    Good luck guys!

    Why can't GMAT test my google skills? I can google any SC they need me to Smile. Wait - google's not a verb now is it? It's an adverbial prepositional phrase but cannot be used as an absolute clause because it's not parallel with me and needs a misplaced modifier in past perfect to work!!!!!

    AHHHHH! When when when ..?

    Smile

    I am ok.

    resilient GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    06 May 2007
    Posted:
    789 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    710
    Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:33 pm
    Just wanted to chime on on a great conversation. Does the idiom (So X as to Y) have any weight here.

    I dont like answer A because it doesn't explain WHO. There is no X in idiom and only a Y (y=marry).

    Correct me if I am wrong.

    _________________
    Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

    boston_mba Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Joined
    17 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    10 messages
    Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:09 am
    Engin - I see what you are saying. Can you give an example of the idiom you are referring to?

    The thing is, "so as to" seems to be a valid construction -
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/so+as+to

    However, I have heard of the following idiom (which is very close to the one you are referring to). Any chance you are referring to this one? If yes, then I think you need the extra "be".

    so [adj] as to be [adj]?

    For example,

    so transparent that it is invisible (correct)
    so transparent as to be invisible (correct)

    so transparent so as to be invisible (incorrect)
    transparent enough so as to be invisible (incorrect)
    transparent enough that it is invisible (incorrect)

    I hope I am making sense.

    resilient GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    06 May 2007
    Posted:
    789 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    710
    Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:32 am
    Boston_mba,

    you are making great sense. I made the point of bringing up the idiom issue because I usually lose to an other wise correct answer choice. Practicing through the OG book, I noticed that if I ignore an idiom, I almost always get it wrong. THerefore, I am sticking to the IDIOM so x as to y. Your point is right too. SO now I am a bit confused on which one beats the other.

    _________________
    Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

    farooq Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    28 Feb 2009
    Posted:
    140 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Test Date:
    29/12/2009
    Target GMAT Score:
    750
    Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:28 am
    camitava wrote:
    xeqtr wrote:
    In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

    A ...
    B and so could be married to
    C to be married to
    D so that he could marry
    E in order that he would marry

    QA:D

    So what is wrong with A? I think it sounds quite rite, since as to means in order to. one may say it is not clear who marry who, but I thin subject King Henry is clearly reffered to marry Anne Boleyn section. I though for a sec for the correct answer as well but thought A is clearer and shorter and went for it since I dont think there's a hard evidence for it to be wrong. Thnx in advance for your assistance!
    OK! Got ur point, xeqtr! This is, u can say, some GMAT speciality. If u refer the first half of the sentence - In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage - The king was looking for something about his marriage whereas in the last half - so as to marry Anne Boleyn.- is saying the king is doing something so as to marry. These two parts do not become parallel in action and meaning.
    so is used to combined two independent clauses.
    so that is used to introduce a subclause (subject + verb with incomplete thought)

    so that..introduce a subclause that depends on the main clause. That why I picked D in second attempt Sad

    [/b]

    _________________
    Regards,
    Farooq Farooqui.
    London. UK

    It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.

    mmslf75 GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    09 Aug 2009
    Posted:
    503 messages
    Thanked:
    27 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    800
    Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 am
    COULD vs WOULD here in D and E

    Any major difference that GMAT tests on ?

    farooq Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    28 Feb 2009
    Posted:
    140 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Test Date:
    29/12/2009
    Target GMAT Score:
    750
    Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:22 pm
    mmslf75 wrote:
    COULD vs WOULD here in D and E

    Any major difference that GMAT tests on ?
    I have not seen any kind of question that was based on the above difference. Yes, in GMAT, you definitely find "would" or "could" in answer choices, but it does not mean we should focus on these two things. There can be many more hint that will help us to cancel those choices. As in the above question: E "in order that" doesn't looks fine with the right answer.

    Moreover, in GMAT we have to select best answer rather then the right answer. Especially in Verbal section we have to focus more on the best answer.

    Verbal plays a critical role in GMAT score. And I believe RC is the key to break verbal section.

    Good Luck. Hope my answer will help you to some extent.

    _________________
    Regards,
    Farooq Farooqui.
    London. UK

    It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.

    divineacclivity Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Joined
    16 May 2012
    Posted:
    78 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm
    Hi,

    I still can NOT understand why "to be married to" is wrong.
    The King sought to have his marriage annulled to be married to A.B. - why is this wrong.
    Doesn't it mean the same as the following sentence:
    The King sought to have his marriage annulled to get married to A.B. Is this sentence correct/better than the one above (to be married one)?

    Thanks.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 j_shreyans 85 topics
    2 aditya8062 38 topics
    3 anksm22 35 topics
    4 RiyaR 31 topics
    5 kamalakarthi 30 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    172 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    151 posts
    3 image description MBAPrepAdvantage

    MBAPrepAdvantage

    90 posts
    4 image description CriticalSquareMBA

    Critical Square

    74 posts
    5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    54 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts