OG, GMATPrep, and resources

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

OG, GMATPrep, and resources

by michaelm.allison » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 pm
Hi all,

I have been studying out of the OG (Green Cover), the Quant OG (white cover), and Verbal OG (Blue Cover) for about a month. I also downloaded the free online software and have been answer questions on that. Is the software the GMATPrep that I see people posting about?

Are there any resources that are good for taking a full test online that is computer adaptive? I realize the OG is a mixed bag of easy, medium, and hard questions, but I seem to be doing well with it and really want to get an understanding for where I am at. My exam is the beginning of February so have a little about a month and a half to finish prepping and take the exam.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:28 pm
Hi michaelm.allison,

Each of the 4 GMATPrep CATs (the 2 free ones that came with the software download and the 2 additional ones that you can purchase) are all computer-adaptive. If you're looking to purchase additional full-length computer-adaptive CATs, then you can find "blocks" of CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas.

Have you taken any FULL-length CATs yet? If so, then how have you scored?
What is your goal score?

With an early February Test Date, you still have the better part of 2 months to study, so you can make some big improvements. You might end up having to invest in some additional resources though, since "book-heavy" study can sometimes be limiting.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:38 am
Hi michaelm.allison,

If you're looking for free practice tests, many of the test prep companies on this forum offer a free test.
I should also mention that the official GMATPrep test is a fantastic resource, but when students see that it contains two practice tests, they assume that they can take each test only once, and if they do take them a second time, the questions will be the same.
This is not true. The GMAT is computer adaptive and questions are drawn from a large pool of questions. So, while you may see the occasional duplicate question, the majority of questions will be new to you.

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article for BTG on this topic: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by michaelm.allison » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 am
Hi Rich,

I took one of the free GMATPrep tests before I started to study (so about a month ago) and scored a 580 (Q40 V30). I plan on taking another test this weekend. I just don't want to burn out of the 4 test that are available. My target score is in that 680-720 range.

I also hired a private tutor to help me with the SC since that killed me on my first practice test. I would say that I have come leaps and bounds in the 3 weeks of working with him on the SC. Usually in my practice SC problems I was hitting about 50% and that has jumped to about 85-90%.

I also was not very familiar with the Data Sufficiency problems on the exam when I took my first practice test, but I think that this past month has allowed me to become more familiar and comfortable with their style.

What are the best resources that you would recommend? I have read that some resources such as Kaplan, PR, or MGMAT can get away from the "style" of the GMAT questions.

Thanks,
Mike

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:41 pm
Hi Mike,

Since you've put in this latest "chunk" of study time working with a tutor, I think that it would be interesting to see how well you perform on this next CAT - thus, I'm not going to offer any recommendations until we see your scores. I will advise that you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) since that's what you'll have to do on the Official GMAT and there's no other way to test your endurance, fatigue and overall pacing.

As to your other questions and concerns:

1) You shouldn't worry about burning through the 4 GMATPrep CATs. While they are arguably the most accurate and realistic of all the available CATs (and you shouldn't waste them) they are not the only useful CATs that you can use during your studies. There are plenty of other reputable CATs that are close enough to the real thing to provide you with a realistic experience and set of scores.

2) Can you cite the source (or sources) that say that Kaplan, PR and/or MGMAT can "get away" from the style of the GMAT? And under what context is this evaluation offered? Is it in regards to occasional practice questions or is in regards to many (or most) practice questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]