OG easier than the question in real test?

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

OG easier than the question in real test?

by isisalaska » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:23 pm
Hi
I have been practicing with the Quantitative Review (Green book) and it seems the questions are easier than Kaplan for instance. Are these type of questions more representative than Kaplan in eth real test?
Isis Alaska

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
isisalaska wrote:Hi
I have been practicing with the Quantitative Review (Green book) and it seems the questions are easier than Kaplan for instance. Are these type of questions more representative than Kaplan in eth real test?
The OG Quantitative Review is the most accurate representation of GMAT Math problems you can find because they are real but retired questions.

Personally, I found Kaplan to be much harder than OG during my GMAT prep--the reason why is that in general Kaplan does a poor job writing its questions; still they are good practice.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_enthus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:58 pm
If you are scoring in the range 44-45 in Math your Mock tests, then practice with OG11 is the best way. OG11 is a must because of its GMAT standard questions.

If you are scoring 45-47 in Math, then I think Kaplan gives you (rather hard) but good practice of 700+ kind of questions. They are still not written like real GMAT, but they prepare you for worse than 700+ questions. So although not a must, Kaplan is good for practice.

Thats my opinion.
My 760 | GMAT Preparation Suggestion

destination 760! completed!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

My Views

by mukul » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:50 am
Maths section has two sections PS and DS....while PS is what all of us have been doing since ages....the same is not true for DS...

So lets base our discussion on whether a maths workbook is good for DS or not...

One can easily cover the PS section with the help of OG alone... But DS is a different story...I don't think OG gives you tough questions in DS.

Then there is the 700 figure....OG is sufficient to take you to 700 given that you follow all the explanations at the back...do not commit silly mistakes and get all those questions right which are in your "scope".

But for 700+ I dare say Kaplan is indispensable, especially kaplan 800. Most of the DS in that book I got wrong in the first go. and I must say...i improved my DS to the extent that I was doing all the questions right in my practise tests. I must add that i did lots of analysis and spotting my weaknesses and silly mistakes.

So yes OG is sufficient for 700 but Kaplan pushes you towards that 750 line, which all of us dream to cross.

But books are books...you cant carry them with you in the test...you have to make the most out of them...and extract every possible knowledge they want to give you. thats the key...

keep in mind tho' i am talking bout OG 10 here..i havent seen OG 11 and the difficulty level. and also kaplan means kaplan 800...the premiere edition has more or less the same level of diffi as OG.

cheers!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

Somethin more I'd like to add

by mukul » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:54 am
For me the questions were very tough in the actual exam...no way near the OG level...may be because I got a 50..the questions get tougher at that level...but i still think i cud have got 52...which was what my average practise test scores....I screwed up two questions in the exam and had to guess and move forward :(

So yes if you want to score high...go for tougher questions...does you no harm!!