• Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep

OG 2016- SC# 90

This topic has 5 expert replies and 6 member replies
ngk4mba3236 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
18 Mar 2016
Posted:
174 messages
Thanked:
1 times

OG 2016- SC# 90

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:59 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

    A: than a year ago and are going down, even though floods I the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
    B: than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
    C: than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
    D: as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
    E: as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising



    Last edited by ngk4mba3236 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    thang Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    31 Oct 2007
    Posted:
    111 messages
    Thanked:
    11 times
    Test Date:
    May 2015
    Target GMAT Score:
    650
    Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:23 am
    choose A
    price of a year ago
    is not logic.

    _________________
    looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: usavictory47@gmail.com, call: 84904812758

    fabiocafarelli Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    09 Feb 2016
    Posted:
    105 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Thanked:
    57 times
    Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:05 am
    1. Just before the underlined part of the given sentence you should notice the comparative adjective HIGHER. A comparative adjective must go with THAN if the second thing compared is stated. This is the case here, but the second thing here is A YEAR, so producing an illogical comparison between PRICES and A YEAR. This illogical comparison reappears in option C. Eliminate A and C.

    2. Since THAN is required after HIGHER, AS cannot be correct, so you can now eliminate D and E.

    3. Only B remains, and it must therefore be the correct answer. PRICES ... NOW are compared with THOSE OF (in other words, THE PRICES OF) A YEAR AGO. This makes sense and is grammatically correct. Note also the parallel structure in the final clause: FLOODS ... AND DROUGHT ARE HURTING ... AND ... RAISING.

    4. You could also use this matter of parallel structure to help you to reach the correct answer. In option A, HURTING ... AND ... RAISED is not parallel. In C, the two verbs are parallel, but their subject is PRICES: this subject gives the option an absurd meaning. In D, HURT and RAISE are parallel, but the Present Simple is not the correct tense, because the sentence is talking about an ongoing present situation, not an habitual present situation. In option E, the two verbs are parallel, but once more their subject is PRICES. This leaves you once more with option B.

    If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

    You can also visit us at http://www.xgmat.com/

    ngk4mba3236 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    18 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    174 messages
    Thanked:
    1 times
    Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:15 am
    hi experts@verbal,
    can you please share your detail explanation for this official sc ? (not able to get this one)

    appreciate your feedback.

    thank you!

    Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:09 pm
    ngk4mba3236 wrote:
    hi experts@verbal,
    can you please share your detail explanation for this official sc ? (not able to get this one)

    appreciate your feedback.

    thank you!
    Imagine a simplified version of the comparison: Prices in 1987 were higher than 1988. The literal meaning of this sentence is that the prices in 1987 were hight than the year 1988. That meaning is nonsensical. We want to write that prices in 1987 were higher than prices in 1988.

    (Answer choices A and C have similar non-sensical meanings, comparing prices to a year. And note that you can eliminate D and E because the idiom is "higher than" not "higher as.")

    There are multiple ways we can fix the faulty comparison, but one way is to include the pronoun "those" to stand in for "prices." Prices in 1987 were higher than those in 1988. If "those" is a referring to prices, then we're appropriately comparing prices in 1987 to prices in 1988.

    Same idea in the OA here. So the only answer choice that correctly compares prices with prices without introducing another error is B

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    ngk4mba3236 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    18 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    174 messages
    Thanked:
    1 times
    Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:12 pm
    hi david,
    although I understand the point you're trying to make, but my doubt remains. because -

    option A: the comparison is Prices higher now than [prices] a year ago -- so, isn't ELLIPSIS at play here ?
    the term [prices] is dropped after than because of ELLIPSIS, I guess! not able to get how this could be wrong ? please help!

    as for the OA: I can understand your explanation. but just want to know how this phrase "those of a year" (in which, those=prices) is correct/making sense ?

    we can have prices of some products/services etc and also we can say prices a year ago. but how prices OF a year ago is ok ? please shed some light!

    as for option C, it changes the intended meaning of this sc,i think. am I correct ?

    ngk4mba3236 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    18 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    174 messages
    Thanked:
    1 times
    Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:41 am
    hi david,
    any feedback on the above post sir ?

    curious to know your thoughts!

    thank you.

    Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:38 am
    Quote:
    option A: the comparison is Prices higher now than [prices] a year ago -- so, isn't ELLIPSIS at play here ?
    the term [prices] is dropped after than because of ELLIPSIS, I guess! not able to get how this could be wrong ? please help!
    Yeah, the ellipsis question is a tricky one. So far as I can tell, there isn't an overarching formal rule that dictates when an ellipsis is acceptable and when it isn't. So we have to use a combination of logic and official questions to figure out when the GMAT will accept it. And the GMAT is pretty consistent in wanting to avoid any scenario in which there's a risk that the reader will think that we're comparing some non-time entity to a time period. Here's another OA, for example:

    In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the 1978 harvest.

    In an incorrect answer choice, we have In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than 1978. So "the harvest in" can't be assumed here, otherwise, these answers would be identical.

    Here's another one: Exceeding even the figures predicted by the most optimistic financial analysts, the automobile company's earnings in the first quarter were more than double those of the previous quarter.

    Again, the GMAT wants to avoid the risk that we might compare "earnings" to the "previous quarter," and so "those of" is required to make sure there's no doubt about this.

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:43 am
    Quote:
    as for the OA: I can understand your explanation. but just want to know how this phrase "those of a year" (in which, those=prices) is correct/making sense ?
    There's nothing inherently problematic with the construction ENTITY of TIME PERIOD. There's an example in the OA I posted above: Exceeding even the figures predicted by the most optimistic financial analysts, the automobile company's earnings in the first quarter were more than double those of the previous quarter.

    Or this OA In no other historical sighting did Halley's Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as in its return of 1910-1911.

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Thanked by: ngk4mba3236
    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 am
    ngk4mba3236 wrote:
    Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

    A: than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
    B: than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
    C: than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
    D: as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
    E: as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
    A: floods...and drought...are hurting crops and therefore raised
    Here, the usage of therefore nonsensically implies that a PAST ACTION (raised) happened as the result of a PRESENT ACTION (are hurting).
    Eliminate A.

    C: Prices...are only 1.3 percent higher...and are going down...and are hurting crops
    Here, the implication is that PRICES are HURTING CROPS -- a nonsensical meaning.
    Eliminate C.

    In D and E, higher...as is unidiomatic.
    Correct: higher THAN.
    Eliminate D and E.

    The correct answer is B.

    A: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.
    The OA to SC93 in the OG12:
    Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last.

    The two comparisons seem quite similar.
    Given the OA to SC93, I would not be too quick to deem the comparison in A faulty -- despite the OE in the OG16.
    I would eliminate A for the reason suggested in my explanation above -- a reason that cannot be disputed.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Thanked by: ngk4mba3236
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

    Top Member

    Post Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 am
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    ngk4mba3236 wrote:
    Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

    A: than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
    B: than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
    C: than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
    D: as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
    E: as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
    A: floods...and drought...are hurting crops and therefore raised
    Here, the usage of therefore nonsensically implies that a PAST ACTION (raised) happened as the result of a PRESENT ACTION (are hurting).
    Eliminate A.

    C: Prices...are only 1.3 percent higher...and are going down...and are hurting crops
    Here, the implication is that PRICES are HURTING CROPS -- a nonsensical meaning.
    Eliminate C.

    In D and E, higher...as is unidiomatic.
    Correct: higher THAN.
    Eliminate D and E.

    The correct answer is B.

    A: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.
    The OA to SC93 in the OG12:
    Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last.

    The two comparisons seem quite similar.
    Given the OA to SC93, I would not be too quick to deem the comparison in A faulty -- despite the OE in the OG16.
    I would eliminate A for the reason suggested in my explanation above -- a reason that cannot be disputed.
    Dear Mitch,

    Can the following version be correct?

    Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than they were a year ago.

    Do we talk bout two different prices here like the example of small efficient cars in following?
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/small-car-fuel-efficiency-t48083-15.html#792473

    Thanks

    Post Fri May 05, 2017 5:04 am
    Mo2men wrote:
    Dear Mitch,

    Can the following version be correct?

    Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than they were a year ago.
    This sentence is fine.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Thanked by: Mo2men
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 ardz24 40 topics
    5 LUANDATO 16 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    146 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    103 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    100 posts
    4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    92 posts
    5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

    Manhattan Review

    79 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts