• Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors

OG 16, SC Q37

This topic has 3 expert replies and 5 member replies
parry Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
20 Oct 2015
Posted:
10 messages

OG 16, SC Q37

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:14 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

    (A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

    (B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

    (C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

    (D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been

    (E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

    OA is E.

    Could somebody explain when "IN BUYING" is better than "TO BUY"? I chose D over E, because i thought D shows the intent (to but stocks) of people who are turning to stockbrokers.

    Also those people WERE not able to buy the stocks and therefore they ARE truning to the stockbrokers.
    What am I missing in the above sentence? Please explain.

    Regards

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    thang Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    31 Oct 2007
    Posted:
    111 messages
    Thanked:
    11 times
    Test Date:
    May 2015
    Target GMAT Score:
    650
    Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:19 pm
    I look at the oxford dictionary online

    help as a noun has idiom

    help in doing.

    another problem is "from them" in E is redundant. "could have been" in D is wrong. this phrase refers to action previous to action in main clause.

    _________________
    looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: usavictory47@gmail.com, call: 84904812758

    Thanked by: parry
    Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:35 am
    parry wrote:
    Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

    (A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

    (B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

    (C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

    (D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been

    (E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be
    An introductory VERBing modifier must serve to refer to the SUBJECT OF THE FOLLOWING CLAUSE.
    In A and B, not trusting seems to refer to stockbrokers -- the subject of the following clause -- implying that STOCKBROKERS are NOT TRUSTING themselves.
    Not the intended meaning.
    The intended meaning is that MANY PEOPLE are not trusting themselves, with the result that they are turning to stockbrokers for help.
    Eliminate A and B.

    C: Many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them
    Here, them and stockbrokers are redundant.
    It would be sufficient to say the following:
    Many people are turning to stockbrokers for help.
    Eliminate C.

    The present perfect (has/have + VERBed) cannot serve to express a GENERAL TRUTH.
    D: stocks that easily could have been purchased directly
    Here, the intent is discuss a GENERAL TRUTH about the stocks being purchased: they COULD BE PURCHASED directly.
    Thus, the usage of the present perfect (have been purchased) is inappropriate.
    Eliminate D.

    The correct answer is E.

    In D, for help to buy stocks is unidiomatic.
    Correct idiom:
    X asks for help IN DOING Y.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    parry Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    20 Oct 2015
    Posted:
    10 messages
    Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm
    Thanks a lot for excellent reply GMATGuruNY.


    Use of "people ARE turning...." in D & E got me thinking that it is a new phonomenon.

    RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    30 May 2012
    Posted:
    889 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    8 times
    Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:19 am
    hi Guru - a quick question on C.

    Isn't the following another potential ERROR in C -- them refers to stockbrokers, whereas themselves in the non-underlined part refers to many people. But on GMAT, any Subject pronoun of same category MUST have same ANTECEDENT.

    Correct me please if wrong!

    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Correct idiom:
    X asks for help IN DOING Y.
    In another OG Qs (OG 12,SC#59) it uses this construction -- The Olympic Games helped to keep peace. So, how these TWO usages are DIFFERENT exactly ?

    Can you please shed some light on this aspect ?

    Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:41 am
    RBBmba@2014 wrote:
    hi Guru - a quick question on C.

    Isn't the following another potential ERROR in C -- them refers to stockbrokers, whereas themselves in the non-underlined part refers to many people. But on GMAT, any Subject pronoun of same category MUST have same ANTECEDENT.

    Correct me please if wrong!
    This line of reasoning is viable.

    Quote:
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Correct idiom:
    X asks for help IN DOING Y.
    In another OG Qs (OG 12,SC#59) it uses this construction -- The Olympic Games helped to keep peace. So, how these TWO usages are DIFFERENT exactly ?

    Can you please shed some light on this aspect ?
    help in buying stocks
    Here, help is a NOUN.
    When help serves as a noun, help + in + VERBing is correct.

    helped to keep peace
    Here, helped is a VERB.
    When help serves as a VERB, help + INFINITIVE is correct.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Alchemist14 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    06 Jan 2016
    Posted:
    28 messages
    Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:39 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    RBBmba@2014 wrote:
    hi Guru - a quick question on C.

    Isn't the following another potential ERROR in C -- them refers to stockbrokers, whereas themselves in the non-underlined part refers to many people. But on GMAT, any Subject pronoun of same category MUST have same ANTECEDENT.

    Correct me please if wrong!
    This line of reasoning is viable.

    Quote:
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Correct idiom:
    X asks for help IN DOING Y.
    In another OG Qs (OG 12,SC#59) it uses this construction -- The Olympic Games helped to keep peace. So, how these TWO usages are DIFFERENT exactly ?

    Can you please shed some light on this aspect ?
    help in buying stocks
    Here, help is a NOUN.
    When help serves as a noun, help + in + VERBing is correct.

    helped to keep peace
    Here, helped is a VERB.
    When help serves as a VERB, help + INFINITIVE is correct.
    GMATGuruNY awesome explanation.

    Just a few doubts.

    1.'For help to buy' means that X asks Y for help with the objective of buying shares right? But this is not what the sentence wants. The sentence wants to say that X asks Y for help in selecting stocks. Is my line of reasoning correct?

    2.Is it a rule that we cannot use noun+infinitive?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Alchemist14

    Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:27 am
    Alchemist14 wrote:
    GMATGuruNY awesome explanation.

    Just a few doubts.

    1.'For help to buy' means that X asks Y for help with the objective of buying shares right? But this is not what the sentence wants. The sentence wants to say that X asks Y for help in selecting stocks. Is my line of reasoning correct?
    In most cases, an infinitive modifier will serve to express the INTENT of the preceding subject.
    Here, the usage of help to buy is incorrect both idiomatically and semantically.
    It seems to imply that PEOPLE intend TO BUY stocks on their own, with the HELP of stockbrokers.
    The actual process is just the opposite: STOCKBROKERS buy stocks ON BEHALF OF people.
    Thus, the usage of help to buy does not convey the intended meaning.
    That said, the error here is primarily idiomatic, as discussed in my posts above.

    Quote:
    2.Is it a rule that we cannot use noun+infinitive?
    An infinitive modifier may follow a noun.
    SC15 in the OG12:
    The National Academy of Sciences has urged THE NATION TO CREATE a special government ORGANIZATION TO TAKE CHARGE of computer security planning.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Thanked by: Alchemist14
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    02 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    154 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Post Sat May 14, 2016 11:43 pm
    I have a question about the placement of the adverb "easily". I believe the adverb can be put in any place, before or after the verb, to modify the verb. However, the OG said it only can be "could easily be bought directly". Can somebody explain this one?
    Thanks in advance!

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 lheiannie07 111 topics
    2 ardz24 64 topics
    3 LUANDATO 62 topics
    4 swerve 60 topics
    5 AAPL 57 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    160 posts
    2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    130 posts
    3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    122 posts
    4 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    122 posts
    5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

    Target Test Prep

    118 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts