OG 13 ques

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG 13 ques

by anksm22 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 pm
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters
of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

Please explain why choice B is incorrect?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:04 am
anksm22 wrote:Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

Please explain why choice B is incorrect?
In A, which seems to refer to sediments, implying that SEDIMENTS are consistent with THE GROWTH -- an illogical comparison.
Eliminate A.

B: sediments, where the growth of industrial activity
Here, where seems to refer to sediments, implying that there is industrial activity in the SEDIMENTS -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B.

In C, its lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate C.

E: the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity
Here, consistent seems to modify the Baltic Sea, implying that the BALTIC SEA is CONSISTENT with the growth of industrial activity -- an illogical comparison.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3