OG 13 133

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

OG 13 133

by oquiella » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm
If x,y, and z are three digit positive integers and if x= y + z, is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z?

1. The tens digit of x is equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z.

2. The units digit of x is equal to the sum of the units digits of y and z.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:59 pm
If x,y, and z are three digit positive integers and if x= y+z, is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z?

1) The tens digit of x equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z
2) The unit digit of x is equal to the sum of the units of y and z
Target question: Is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z ?

Notice that there are essentially 3 ways for the hundreds digit of x to be different from the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Scenario #1: the hundreds digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 600 + 900 = 1500. HOWEVER, we can rule out this scenario because we're told that x, y, and z are three-digit integers
Scenario #2: the tens digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 141 + 172 = 313.
Scenario #3: the tens digits of y and z add to 9, AND the units digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 149 + 159 = 308

Statement 1: The tens digit of x is equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z.
This rules out scenarios 2 and 3 (plus we already ruled out scenario 1).
So, it must be the case that the hundreds digit of x equals to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The units digit of x is equal to the sum of the units digits of y and z.
This rules out scenario 3, but not scenario 2. Consider these two conflicting cases:
Case a: y = 100, z = 100 and x = 200, in which case the hundreds digit of x equals the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Case b: y = 160, z = 160 and x = 320, in which case the hundreds digit of x does not equal the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer = A

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:40 am
oquiella wrote:If x,y, and z are three digit positive integers and if x= y + z, is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z?

Let y = 2BC, z = 2EF, and x = HTU, so that the addition looks as follows:

2BC
2EF
HTU

When will it be true that H ≠ 2+2?
When we have to CARRY A 1 FROM THE TENS PLACE TO THE HUNDREDS PLACE.
To illustrate:

Here, because we have to carry a 1 from the tens place to the hundreds place, H = 2+2+1 = 5.

Question rephrased:

ABC
DEF
HTU

In the addition problem above, do we have to a carry a 1 from the tens place to the hundreds place?

Statement 1: The tens digit of x is equal to the sum of the tens
digits of y and z.

Since T = B+E, there is no need to carry a 1 to the hundreds place.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: The units digit of x is equal to the sum of the
units digits of y and z.

Since U = C+F, we do not need to carry a 1 from the UNITS PLACE to the TENS PLACE.
But it cannot be determined whether we have to carry a 1 from the TENS PLACE to the HUNDREDS PLACE.
If T = B+E = 0+0 = 0, then there is no need to carry a 1 to the hundreds place:
If T = B+E = 9+9 = 18, then we must carry a 1 to the hundreds place.
INSUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Amrabdelnaby » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:42 am
Brent,

I dont understand why in your approach you ruled out scenario one in statement one?

how did you assume that the hundreds digits of y and z don't add up to more than 9?
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
If x,y, and z are three digit positive integers and if x= y+z, is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z?

Target question: Is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z ?

Notice that there are essentially 3 ways for the hundreds digit of x to be different from the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Scenario #1: the hundreds digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 600 + 900 = 1500. HOWEVER, we can rule out this scenario because we're told that x, y, and z are three-digit integers
Scenario #2: the tens digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 141 + 172 = 313.
Scenario #3: the tens digits of y and z add to 9, AND the units digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 149 + 159 = 308

Statement 1: The tens digit of x is equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z.
So, it must be the case that the hundreds digit of x equals to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The units digit of x is equal to the sum of the units digits of y and z.
This rules out scenario 3, but not scenario 2. Consider these two conflicting cases:
Case a: y = 100, z = 100 and x = 200, in which case the hundreds digit of x equals the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Case b: y = 160, z = 160 and x = 320, in which case the hundreds digit of x does not equal the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer = A

Cheers,
Brent

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 am
Amrabdelnaby wrote:Brent,

I dont understand why in your approach you ruled out scenario one in statement one?

how did you assume that the hundreds digits of y and z don't add up to more than 9?
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:

Answer = A

Cheers,
Brent
Actually, I ruled our Scenario 1 BEFORE I examined the statements.
If the hundreds digits of y and z add up to more than 9, then x would NOT be a 3-digit number. x would be a 4-digit number.

Cheers,
Brent

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nasahtahir » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:14 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:

Answer = A

Cheers,
Brent
Hi,
If I may ask
if we take x = 500
Y=275
z=225

How exactly is statement one sufficient when according to both your scenarios 1 & 2 we got different answers, which technically contradicts '1) The tens digit of x equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z '
Please forgive me as I am just a beginner :)

regards,
Hash

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:59 pm
nasahtahir wrote: Hi,
If I may ask
if we take x = 500
Y=275
z=225

How exactly is statement one sufficient when according to both your scenarios 1 & 2 we got different answers, which technically contradicts '1) The tens digit of x equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z '

regards,
Hash
If you're suggesting that x = 500, y=275 and z=225 satisfies statement 1, then that it not correct.
With those particular values, the tens digit of x in not equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z

by nasahtahir » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:03 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
nasahtahir wrote: Hi,
If I may ask
if we take x = 500
Y=275
z=225

regards,
Hash
If you're suggesting that x = 500, y=275 and z=225 satisfies statement 1, then that it not correct.
With those particular values, the tens digit of x in not equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z
Exactly my point kind sir,
Both these scenarios 'Scenario #2: the tens digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 141 + 172 = 313.
Scenario #3: the tens digits of y and z add to 9, AND the units digits of y and z add to more than 9. For example, 149 + 159 = 308 '

ARE NOT SUFFICIENT if I'm not mistaken.

What I'm tying to ask from you is How!

by nasahtahir » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:14 am
Oh I get it. It is a yes/No question that is why. My bad, sir.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:32 am
oquiella wrote:If x,y, and z are three digit positive integers and if x= y + z, is the hundreds digit of x equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z?

We are given that x, y, and z are three-digit positive integers. We are also given that x = y + z. We must determine whether the hundreds digit of x is equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z.

Statement One Alone:

The tens digit of x is equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z.

In order for statement one to be true, the sum of the tens digits of y and z must be less than 10. Let's test some convenient numbers to illustrate this idea.

y = 143

z = 132

x = 275

Since 4 + 3 = 7, the tens digit of x is equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z.

Since 1 +1 = 2, we also see that the hundreds digit of x is equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z.

The concept here is:

Since x = y + z, the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z must be no more than 9 and there cannot be a 1 carrying over to the thousands place, because x is only 3 digits. In other words, the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z will be equal to the hundreds digit of x UNLESS there is a 1 carrying over from the sum of the tens digits of y and z to the hundreds place. However, we see from the example shown above that if the sum of the tens digits of y and z is equal to the tens digit of x, the sum of the tens digits of y and z will be no more than 9. And if the sum of the tens digits of y and z is no more than 9, there will not be a 1 carrying over to the hundreds place. Therefore, the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z indeed will be equal to the hundreds digit of x.

Thus, we see that statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices B, C, and E.

Note: Notice that if we selected numbers in which the sum of the tens digit of y and z was 10 or higher, those numbers would not have fulfilled the information in statement one.

y = 143

z = 172

x = 315

Notice that 4 + 7 ≠ 1. In other words, the tens digit of x IS NOT equal to the sum of the tens digits of y and z. Thus, we cannot use numbers in which the sum of the tens digits of y and z is 10 or higher.

Statement Two Alone:

The units digit of x is equal to the sum of the units digits of y and z.

From the work we did in statement one, we can see that knowing only that the units digit of x is equal to the sum of the units digits of y and z is not enough information to determine whether the hundreds digit of x is equal to the sum of the hundreds digits of y and z.

Case #1

y = 143

z = 172

x = 315

In this case 1 + 1 ≠ 3, so the hundreds digit of x IS NOT equal to sum of the hundreds digits of y and z.

Case #2

y = 143

z = 132

x = 275

In this case 1 + 1 = 2, so the hundreds digit of x is equal to sum of the hundreds digits of y and z.

Statement two alone is not sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: A

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews