OG 12 Qs # 63 : When hypnotized subjects are told that they

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Hi Experts - Could you please share your analysis for this question...I got the this one correct but I'd want to be completely confident about why E is wrong!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:30 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Hi Experts - Could you please share your analysis for this question...I got the this one correct but I'd want to be completely confident about why E is wrong!
The argument concludes that the HEARING PART of the brain is disassociated from -- and thus cannot transfer information to -- the REPLYING PART of the brain.
Implication:
The REPLYING PART of the brain must be UNAWARE of questions heard by the HEARING PART, since the hearing part cannot transfer information to the replying part.
Thus, in concluding that the replying part is disassociated from the hearing part, the theorists assume that the following is true:
When hypnotized subjects respond to a question, the response comes from the HEARING PART.

The correct answer choice will attack this assumption.
Rephrase the answer choices as simple statements.
A, rephrased as a statement:
The part that responds does not answer "Yes."
By definition, the hearing part CAN HEAR.
Thus, when the hearing part is asked whether it can hear, it should answer YES.
That the hearing part does NOT answer "yes" suggests that the response from each subject does NOT come from the hearing part of the brain, WEAKENING the theorists' assumption.

The correct answer is A.

E, rephrased as a statement:
The separate parts of the self are the same for all subjects.
This answer choice does not weaken the assumption that the response from each subject comes from the hearing part.
Eliminate E.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:21 am
Thanks Mitch for making it clear at one go :-)

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:27 am
Hi Verbal Experts (Mitch/Rich/Dave/others) -

Just curious to know whether my following LOGIC is correct or not ?

Per the argument, deaf part is dissociated from the part that replies. So, it's clear (or at least MOST LIKELY) that the part that replies doesn't get influenced by the hypnotism. That means this part that replies should ANSWER YES because they're NOT getting hypnotized, hence NOT aware of the fact that SUBJECTS are told deaf through hypnotism.

@ Mitch - as you already shared your inputs in this thread, so it'd be nice if you could chime in.Thank you!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:47 am
Hi Verbal Experts - can any of you share your feedback to help me clarify my doubts ?

Look forward to your feedback. Much thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:02 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:When hypnotized subjects respond to a question, the response comes from the HEARING PART.

The correct answer choice will attack this assumption.
Rephrase the answer choices as simple statements.
A, rephrased as a statement:
The part that responds does not answer "Yes."
By definition, the hearing part CAN HEAR.
Thus, when the hearing part is asked whether it can hear, it should answer YES.
That the hearing part does NOT answer "yes" suggests that the response from each subject does NOT come from the hearing part of the brain, WEAKENING the theorists' assumption.

Hi Mitch,

I have a doubt here.

Argument says: the senses of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

Meaning: part 1- that hears & part-2 that replies

part 1 and part-2 are not linked.

So we expect an invalid answer from the subject.

Eg: when asked the question "Are you mad" and if the subject replies "No" that means both parts are linked as part-1 heard the question and part-2 gave the correct answer.

But we were expecting that part-2 should be replying "YES" as the senses are not linked and hence didn't understand the meaning of question.

Now, Option-A 'why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?'

So when asked to subject that "are you deaf" shouldn't BE answering correct as both the parts of senses aren't linked.

option-A says the same that if the subject would have replied yes then that means both parts aren't linked and it gave wrong answer.

I hope that I am clear to express my doubt.
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:19 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote: Just curious to know whether my following LOGIC is correct or not ?

Per the argument, deaf part is dissociated from the part that replies. So, it's clear (or at least MOST LIKELY) that the part that replies doesn't get influenced by the hypnotism. That means this part that replies should ANSWER YES because they're NOT getting hypnotized, hence NOT aware of the fact that SUBJECTS are told deaf through hypnotism.

@ Mitch - Could you please share your thoughts on my above quote ? As you already shared your inputs in this thread, so it'd be nice if you could chime in.

Look forward to know your feedback. Much thanks in advance!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:13 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote: Just curious to know whether my following LOGIC is correct or not ?

@ Verbal Experts - Could any of you kindly share your thoughts on the above ?

Look forward to know your feedback. Much thanks in advance!