OG 10 SC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

OG 10 SC

by mundasingh123 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 pm
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Nambung,
Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they
attract
their mates during the day, rather than at night.
(A) by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract
(B) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting
(C) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting
(D) using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and attract
(E) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting

I want Explanations
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Nambung,
Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they
attract
their mates during the day, rather than at night.

"they" is ambiguous - could refer to males of most species, male whistling moths, or female moths. By the use is awkward and lengthy. Both of these are style issues, and the right answer could stand to live with them, but an answer choice that fixes these issues is superior to A.

(B) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting
Fragment at the end of the sentence "and attracting their mates during the day rather than at night - there's no verb. Can also be vieweind as a parallelism issue with "call.....and attracting"

(C) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting
Correct grammatically, but illogical: implies that the male whistling moths call female moths to them by the use....and by attracting the females during the day. A moth cannot call a female to him by attracting her during the day.

(D) using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and attract
Correct answer. The "and" connects "call"....and "attract" as two separate things that scientists believe the male whistling moth does. Better stylistically than A, as removes the potentially ambiguous pronoun "they" and shortens "by the use of signals" to "using signals"

(E) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting
Same problem as B.

I want Explanations
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:05 pm
But Geva
"they" is ambiguous - could refer to males of most species, male whistling moths, or female moths. By the use is awkward and lengthy. Both of these are style issues, and the right answer could stand to live with them, but an answer choice that fixes these issues is superior to A.
Male moths are the subject of the previous clause , so shouldnt they in the following clause also refer to male moths
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by prashant.mishra » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 pm
precisely, that's the confusion... "they" could refer to the subject or the noun of the predicate.. Besides this error, there are other errors in A as well.."by the use of" is wordy while "using" is more direct and thus better.. A also mentions "but not" which is unidiomatic... "rather than" is better.. Hence D. Please let me know if there are any further confusions..
mundasingh123 wrote:But Geva
Male moths are the subject of the previous clause , so shouldnt they in the following clause also refer to male moths

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm
Danny has told Robert that he should deny his involvement in yesteday's events, and he will.

Can you honestly say that every pronoun in the sentence above refers to Danny just because he is the subject of the clause? Is it as clear cut as that?

Every pronoun is dangerous. See my remarks for pronoun ambiguity here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/in-a-5-to-4- ... tml#401230
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

GMAT Score:650

by prashant.mishra » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 pm
Hi Geva,

Would you agree that there are other issues with A, namely wordiness and improper usage of "but not" ??

Thanks.
prashant.mishra wrote:precisely, that's the confusion... "they" could refer to the subject or the noun of the predicate.. Besides this error, there are other errors in A as well.."by the use of" is wordy while "using" is more direct and thus better.. A also mentions "but not" which is unidiomatic... "rather than" is better.. Hence D. Please let me know if there are any further confusions..

by Md Raihan Uddin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:09 am
I am totally confused about the answer. Because If I choose D as answer I have to agree with ' The male ..... call female moths to them using acoustical signals'. The issue is here - how do they call? If we use this option 'using' is modifying female moths and this is not the intended meaning.

In A, the problem I mentioned in D was corrected but again "they" is not clear here. So the two contenders for right answer in this question have problem. Am I correct?

Others are not correct for breaking the parallelism.

I need expert help.
Last edited by Md Raihan Uddin on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm
Hi Md Raihan Uddin,

This SC can be solved with just one grammar rule: Parallelism

1) Parallelism: We're told that male whistling moths call female moths by doing 2 things. We have to present these 2 ideas in Parallel format. The first is "CALL female moths....", so the second has to use the same structure. Looking at the 5 answer choices, only one presents the verb in the proper way - "ATTRACT....." Eliminate A (the extra pronoun is redundant/unnecessary), B, C and E.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Md Raihan Uddin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:56 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Md Raihan Uddin,

This SC can be solved with just one grammar rule: Parallelism

1) Parallelism: We're told that male whistling moths call female moths by doing 2 things. We have to present these 2 ideas in Parallel format. The first is "CALL female moths....", so the second has to use the same structure. Looking at the 5 answer choices, only one presents the verb in the proper way - "ATTRACT....." Eliminate A (the extra pronoun is redundant/unnecessary), B, C and E.

It is clear that answer can be chosen easily. But for future purpose.....
I want to know does the option D mean "how male moths call?" Does it imply "by using"? If so, can I get some example of such usages?

Because I think D would have been better If I used comma before "using"

Male moths call female moths to them, using .......

Without comma
What does "using" refer to?