RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:

Official CR: Columnist:People should avoid using a certain

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:48 am
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat

(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health

(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats

(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats

OA: A

@Verbal Experts - can you please clarify why Option B is wrong ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 am
Hi Mitch,
Let me clarify what I intended to mean by fatty foods : Foods that contain the ACTUAL fat. "foods that contain the fat" -- doesn't this phrase in Option B imply fatty foods ?

My whole interpretation http://www.beatthegmat.com/official-cr-columnist-people-should-avoid-using-a-certain-t294985.html#792326 is based on this understanding. How is this wrong ?

Curious to know your thoughts!

P.S: Btw, are you interpreting "the fat" in Option B as "the artificial fat" ? Why so ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Top Reply
Post Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 am
Quote:
P.S: Btw, are you interpreting "the fat" in Option B as "the artificial fat" ? Why so ?
I suspect this is the source of your confusion. Think of it this way. Grammatically, if I'm writing about fat in general there's no reason to use the definite article "the." If I'm referring to a particular kind, or subset of fat, I'd use "the" to differentiate it from other types of fat. In this case, "the fat" refers to the artificial fat mentioned in the first half of the sentence.

Break it down: Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain [color=red]the fat[/color.]
It would be awfully strange if the writer didn't intend "the fat" to refer to "the artificial fat" in the first half of the sentence, right? And how could it possibly be the case that fatty foods in general would contain certain vitamins? Butter has fat. But so do peanuts. And Avocados. And coconuts. Etc.

If the author had intended the meaning to be all fats, she'd have written something more akin to:

Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are generally present in fatty foods.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: RBBmba@2014
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Post Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 am
Hi Mitch,
Let me clarify what I intended to mean by fatty foods : Foods that contain the ACTUAL fat. "foods that contain the fat" -- doesn't this phrase in Option B imply fatty foods ?

My whole interpretation http://www.beatthegmat.com/official-cr-columnist-people-should-avoid-using-a-certain-t294985.html#792326 is based on this understanding. How is this wrong ?

Curious to know your thoughts!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 am
Quote:
I suspect this is the source of your confusion. Think of it this way. Grammatically, if I'm writing about fat in general there's no reason to use the definite article "the." If I'm referring to a particular kind, or subset of fat, I'd use "the" to differentiate it from other types of fat. In this case, "the fat" refers to the artificial fat mentioned in the first half of the sentence.

Break it down: Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain [color=red]the fat[/color.]
It would be awfully strange if the writer didn't intend "the fat" to refer to "the artificial fat" in the first half of the sentence, right? And how could it possibly be the case that fatty foods in general would contain certain vitamins? Butter has fat. But so do peanuts. And Avocados. And coconuts. Etc.

If the author had intended the meaning to be all fats, she'd have written something more akin to:

Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are generally present in fatty foods.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Post Fri May 05, 2017 6:15 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
However,would like to clarify whether my following understanding is correct -

B, rephrased as a POSITIVE STATEMENT:
The vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat.
It seems to imply that even if vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat (re fatty foods) , it doesn’t mean that fatty foods should be taken because our intention is NO FAT foods + overcome the drawback of artificial fat and we're NOT able to overcome the drawback of artificial fat.

So, B doesn't help.
It is unclear what you mean by fatty foods.
Premise:
The artificial fat has none of the negative health effects of fat.
Since foods prepared with the artificial fat contain no actual fat, they are not fatty.
But the artificial fat has a serious drawback: it prevents the absorption of certain essential vitamins.
Since the positive statement above does not affect whether this drawback can be avoided, eliminate B.

Quote:
B, rephrased as a NEGATIVE STATEMENT:
The vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are NOT present in foods that contain the fat.
It appears that this rephrase implies: the foods that contain the fat should be avoided (because they contain FAT which is not good to take and also don't contain the vitamins, therefore they're not good for health) and this piece of information is already mentioned in the ARGUMENT as a PREMISE - so, no NEW information given. Thus, it becomes nonsensical to even consider Option B.

So, here also we can see that B doesn't help. Are the above TWO understandings correct ?
The reasoning behind the portion in red is unclear.
Since the artificial fat has none of the negative health effects of fat, foods prepared with the artificial fat are -- in most respects -- GOOD.
But the artificial fat has a serious drawback: it prevents the absorption of certain essential vitamins.
Since the negative statement above does not affect whether this drawback can be avoided, eliminate B.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Post Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 am
Hi Mitch,
Any thoughts on my above analysis ?

Curious to hear your feedback. Much thanks in advance!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts