NYU Stern Part-time Langone Program

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by goodday » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:12 pm
Hi
I am currently working in nyc and interested in doing the langone part time mba program. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on the competitiveness of my application.

I have a 3.1 from northwestern university undergrad (chemistry and religion) and a 3.6 at johns hopkins where i got my msph in health policy and bioethics. ive worked a few months at a time at think tanks in DC and the AMA in chicago and ive been working at pfizer this past year in their policy department. i think i need to round out my background in business to move forward and i think this is the right program for me. haven't taken the gmat yet but i got a 1400 on the gre (800q 600v) and have been scoring around 730 on my practice CAT gmats. Oh and I am a 23 year old white female.

What do you think?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am
Dear goodday,

There are certainly positives to your profile, and scoring over a 700 on the GMAT will further strengthen your application. The main questions in the minds of the admissions committee will be why you want an MBA and why now in relation to your career goals. How do all of these pieces fit together for you to actualize your short and long term career goals? With the limited experience you have, the why now is even more critical for the Langone program as the average work experience is higher. If you feel you have a solid rationale for the Langone program at this point in your career, and you can put together a strong application package, then why not apply and see what happens?

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by nyusternfan163 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm
Hi Lisa,

Can you please comment on my background and if I have a legitimate chance to get into Langone?

GMAT: 640 (Q: 48, V: 28, AWA, not out yet), I will be retaking it as I got 700 and 720 from my two practice exams.

Education: Graduated from Rutgers, overall GPA is 3.34 with 3 majors (Computer and Electrical Engineering, Math, and Econ) and 1 Minor (operation research where some classes are grad level and are taken with graduate/phd students). Yes, 3 majors and 1 minor. Was on dean's list multiple semesters.

Been working in NYC (the only job) at a financial software company that provides fixed income analytics for almost 4 years. Really didn't have too much afterschool activities in college; was a tutor for a couple semesters, was a class assistant for a calc class (grading homework, helping students etc), and helped a local food bank. I've also interned at merrill lynch. Have decent amount of knowledge on finance and analytics from work.

I understand it is hard to say for sure, but at least can you please let me know if my profile is in the competition (especially my gmat score being 640 only)? I saw that 80% of students scored somewhere between 730 and 630.

I am asian and 27 now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:18 pm
Dear nyusternfan163,

A higher GMAT score will certainly not hurt, but your 640 is in range for Langone. Your GPA and professional experience demonstrate your aptitude and might be enough to make the admissions committee comfortable you can handle the rigor of the program. With Langone, you want to be sure and convey a solid rationale for why an MBA and why Langone in relation to your career goals. If you feel you can submit an effective set of essays and strong set of recommendations, plus do well in your interview, then you have a shot.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by nyusternfan163 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:28 pm
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear nyusternfan163,

A higher GMAT score will certainly not hurt, but your 640 is in range for Langone. Your GPA and professional experience demonstrate your aptitude and might be enough to make the admissions committee comfortable you can handle the rigor of the program. With Langone, you want to be sure and convey a solid rationale for why an MBA and why Langone in relation to your career goals. If you feel you can submit an effective set of essays and strong set of recommendations, plus do well in your interview, then you have a shot.

Good luck,
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the comments. Just a couple more questions:

1. Based on my current GMAT score and my background, would you consider me as a strong applicant, a so-so applicant, or a weak applicant? Please tell me the truth in your opinion.

2. If I were able to boost my GMAT to somewhere between 680-720, do you think I'll have a shot at Columbia or some of the top notch schools? Again, given the hypothetical GMAT score, would you consider me being a strong, so-so, or weak applicant for Columbia or other top 10 schools?

Thanks for your help!

by acheng85 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:34 pm
Hi Lisa,

I recently got wait-listed from the NYU Langone Program. I plan to visit the campus next week and talk to the staff members, but what else do you suggest I do at this point?

Should I retake the GMAT, take a class to up my grades, or submit more information?

I know my grades are somewhat low and my GMAT is borderline. Additionally, I'm on the young side of the spectrum, since I'm only 25 years old.

My stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.05; Major GPA: 3.14 (SUNY Binghamton, B.A. Economics)
GMAT: 670
Work experience: 1 year at Bear Stearns as a Business Unit Controller; 2 years at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York as a Tour Guide.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

by nyusternfan163 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:04 am
nyusternfan163 wrote:
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear nyusternfan163,

Good luck,
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the comments. Just a couple more questions:

1. Based on my current GMAT score and my background, would you consider me as a strong applicant, a so-so applicant, or a weak applicant? Please tell me the truth in your opinion.

2. If I were able to boost my GMAT to somewhere between 680-720, do you think I'll have a shot at Columbia or some of the top notch schools? Again, given the hypothetical GMAT score, would you consider me being a strong, so-so, or weak applicant for Columbia or other top 10 schools?

Thanks for your help!
Just to make my profile more complete, I just got my AWA score back, I got a 6.0.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Dear nyusternfan163,

I honestly don't know enough about your background and reasons for wanting an MBA to comment on whether you are a "strong, so-so or weak" applicant. Decisions are made on more than a profile, and certainly more than a GMAT, GPA and number of years experience. From what you posted, you have competitive aspects to your profile for Langone--but it is not enough to have a competitive profile, you must also present your background and reasons for wanting to go to Langone effectively in your application. If you retake your GMAT and increase your score to the 680+ range, I do think it is reasonable to consider top 10 programs if you feel you will have a great set of essays and recommendations, a strong interview, and a compelling case for your admission over many other applicants.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:21 pm
acheng85 wrote:Hi Lisa,

I recently got wait-listed from the NYU Langone Program. I plan to visit the campus next week and talk to the staff members, but what else do you suggest I do at this point?

Should I retake the GMAT, take a class to up my grades, or submit more information?

I know my grades are somewhat low and my GMAT is borderline. Additionally, I'm on the young side of the spectrum, since I'm only 25 years old.

My stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.05; Major GPA: 3.14 (SUNY Binghamton, B.A. Economics)
GMAT: 670
Work experience: 1 year at Bear Stearns as a Business Unit Controller; 2 years at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York as a Tour Guide.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony
Dear Anthony,

Your meeting with the admissions office will be your best source for how to address the concern(s) of the admissions committee. I would be surprised if your GMAT is the issue at a 670 (but I've been surprised before). It is more likely your professional experience and/or rationale for an MBA that are giving them pause. Don't be afraid to ask what you can do to strengthen your application and address the concern(s). You also want to be ready to offer to do things as well, so telling them you are willing to write another essay, get another recommendation and/or take a class is a solid plan. Once you meet with an admissions representative and have a better sense of why you are on the waitlist, then you will know what you need to do.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by johnr » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:08 pm
Hi Lisa,

I am also hoping to find out if I am a strong candidate for NYU's part-time MBA program. Thank you for your time and I appreciate your input.

My information is as follows:

24 years old; white male
Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 Union College (Liberal Arts, NY)
Major: Economics
GMAT: 680
NCAA Division 3 soccer player for 4 years
Work experience: Intern at wealth management firm in NJ
2 years as an associate client adviser

I would not be applying for financial aid and I have a strong interest in finance.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

John