Notes or No Notes

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Notes or No Notes

by Azizakaria » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am
hello,

I've a problem with C.R. questions, when i read the question i tend to take note like i read in MGMAT materials but it's time consuming, but if i didn't take note like Veritas book says i get lost in the question and i find myself need to read it twice before i really get the premise and the conclusion, please help me which method is better should i practice myself to solve effectively with or without taking notes.
Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:56 am
My vote?

NO notes.

Want confirmation? I can't think of one of my students who uses notes for CR, and most of them totally ace CR, eat CR for LUNCH.

Those prompts are relatively short, and if you really get what's going on in the argument I don't think you really need notes to understand and recall it all easily. Meanwhile, so what if you have to read them twice. I personally read them, two, three, four times sometimes, and basically never get a CR question wrong.

The thing is to read the prompts until what they are saying is crystal clear to you. Then once you see EXACTLY what is going on, go to the answer choices armed with that awareness.

If you felt naturally inclined to use notes, I wouldn't shoot down doing that, but if you don't, I don't see any reason to force yourself to.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:41 pm
Could not disagree with Murray more!!! (Multiple exclamation points of disagreement! :-))

Notes are ABSOLUTELY essential to hold yourself accountable to breaking down CR arguments properly, and ensuring you are (1) not reading the argument too quickly, (2) not taking anything for granted, (3) thinking on your own about WHAT each piece means, and (4) coming up with your OWN answer BEFORE reading the answer choices.

Most people don't take notes because they don't know HOW, and they think notes = copying down the CR question verbatim.

If you are getting CR correct 100% of the time and not using notes, then great. You must be Sherlock Holmes and I an envious of your brain-power.

If you are only getting 80% accuracy or even lower, then you need to spend some time with a scratch pad and develop a methodical paper-based strategy. You're missing these question because you don't know how to break them down.

It is absolutely not enough to simply read the paragraph and move on to the answer choices "armed with that awareness." You need a written-down prediction, a solid expectation of WHAT the correct answer should look like, so you can measure each answer choice against it, and use process of elimination.

I have been tutoring the GMAT for almost a decade, and have worked for companies such as Kaplan, Grockit, and Veritas Prep. Time and time again, students succeed in CR when they understand how to use the scratch pad as a weapon. :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:59 am
My vote is for a middle ground...

For most students, CR is easier to understand than RC - it's shorter, and the language is usually more straightforward. If they have no trouble understanding what they've read, they should take NO NOTES.

For most CR question types (find assumption, flaw, evaluate, strengthen, and weaken), the right answer will hinge on what's NOT stated in the argument - on a missing assumption, a logical gap. Taking notes on what IS stated in the argument usually doesn't help students to pinpoint what's missing. I recommend jotting down one line about what's missing on these question types, since that's what the right answer will address. For example, OG 2016 #90:
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
You'd write: all children exposed sent to nurse?

There are students (especially English language learners) who don't have as easy a time reading and processing CR arguments. If the act of jotting quick notes helps you to understand and process what you read, then of course do it!

My recommendation:
1) try a set of 10 questions, taking notes on the argument AND writing a note about what you want the answer to address.
2) try another set of 10. Don't take any notes on the argument, but write down a note about what you want the answer to address.
3) compare the two sets and see which one yielded better results and better timing.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education