Nonprofit professional seeking MBA

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Nonprofit professional seeking MBA

by sonchau » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 pm
I just took the GMAT, and I ended up with a very, very low score. I don't think I prepared well, although I did "try" to study at least 5 days and about 15 hours a week for 2 months.

My profile:

25 years old, Vietnamese American male, community activist, writer

GMAT: 400 (Q: 26, V: 20, IR: 4, AWA: 5)

GPA: 3.71 UC Berkeley, Double major in American Studies & Ethnic Studies, Highest Honors, and finished an honors thesis for the Department of American Studies

Undergraduate career: Very active in student groups that help low-income communities. Led youth mentorship programs. Taught an interdisciplinary class on hip hop history. Studied abroad in Vietnam.

Current Career: Nonprofit development manager. Pioneered a donors program and first annual fundraiser, raising $100k+ for the organization whose operating budget is under $2 million. Started at the nonprofit since 2010 as an intern and was promoted many times. 3 years work experience. Will have had 4 years experience upon matriculation in Fall 2015.

Current civic engagement: Youth mentor for the Key Club that I started in high school. Went through various civic leadership programs. Community organizer/fundraiser for various multicultural community programs. Also involved in the arts and performance community through my interests in dance and music.

Target schools: Stanford, Yale, Harvard, and Berkeley

Why MBA: I'd like to learn more about organizational sustainability and fundraising through the lens of business in order to advance my own theory and practice in my career, which is also my avenue to impact marginalized communities. My reasons for pursuing an MBA cuts through both my intellectual and career growth.
Last edited by sonchau on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:12 am
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your GMAT challenges. Do you know what went wrong? DId you leave questions/sections unanswered it sounds like? There is a large penalty for that, worse than guessing. Had you taken practice tests during your study period, and if so, how were those scores? Are you planning a re-take in the near future I hope?

Schools take the highest score, and it's common to take the GMAT more than once, so I DEFINITELY recommend a re-take, preferably with a tutor who can help you best identify what your particular strengths and weaknesses are and where you are going wrong on the exam. If a tutor is not possible, at least a preparation course such as Manhattan GMAT or Kaplan (on line or in person), with weekly full length computer adaptive practice tests to get you USED to the exact test-day experience which can really help.

While your profile may be a bit less common among applicants which is a plus, your first step is to bring up that GMAT a ton to even get to where you may be considered. Plenty of time, you can do it!! Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sonchau » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:37 am
Thanks Jen for your reply.

I actually answered all the questions on the exam.

I took three practice tests during my study period, and I scored in that range.

I'm planning to study with at tutor soon.

What would be an adequate score for an applicant similar to my profile to even get considered?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:49 pm
Hi there,

I definitely think a tutor could help a lot, as they could literally watch over your shoulder while you do practice problems and tests and see where you could be improving your time and approach.

A very rough rule of thumb is you'd rather not be fewer than 50 points below a school's average. So have a look at schools averages, on their websites, or you can scan down a ranking like the US News & World report ranking... top 10 schools generally average about 700-720. You can look more at tiers of schools with averages more like 600-650, but you'd still want to be in that ballpark for best chances of consideration. Otherwise schools worry you won't be able to handle the academic rigor of the program, as that is what the GMAT is designed to predict. Wishing you the best!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders