Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Non IT with low work ex, insights plz

by Arindam Das » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 am
Indian male aged 24 years.

Academics:
Passed Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University (a tier I tech institute) with honours. Equivalent CGPA = 3.7/4.0

GMAT: 740 (Ist attempt)
Quant=50, Verbal=40, IR=7, AWA=5.5

Work ex:
Working with Tata Steel India till date since 2011.

As a management trainee (technical)worked in several in-plant projects.
1.Successfully finished a product lifetime project with a 4 fold improvement compared to the previous trend.
2.Devised a new galvanization method which potentially saves $3.6 mil per annum. A patent is awaited for the same.

As manager projects (mechanical) worked in a greenfield project managing 2 project assignments. Was responsible for managing the supply and erection phases of both.
1. Reduced delay in project execution cuz of the monsoons by over 30 days by resource sharing between various suppliers.
2. Devised and implemented an online project management portal for my department. A similar system has been put in place across all departments in due time.

As manager projects (design) working for developing a computer based product lifetime management and maintainance system. Working in a team responsible for drawing revision and 3D model generation of the upcoming steel plant.

1. Youngest member in the team to get nominated from any department based on my expertise in CAD softwares.
2. Achieved the highest conversion rate for 2D to 3D.

Extracurriculars and Interests:
1. Co founder of the Tata Steel Music Club which provides a platform for employees to get together, jam and learn from each other while honing some in-house talents and gives them an opportunity to perform at various company events.
2. Guitarist in a music band.
3. As part of the cultural and sports committee have conducted various non-competitive events for the trainees in the company.
4. Completed all three levels of basic race training course for motorcycle racing in Dec'13. Love to travel and am trying to start a MotoTouring Club in my company soon.
5. Captained the Soccer team of our own trainee batch in 2011.

---
I would love to get an honest feedback as to what my chances would be considering my short term goal is to get into the financial side of a major tech firm while the long term is to be a social entrepreneur back in my country.
Plz let me know of both realistic & stretch options in the US which are ranked above 30. Personally would love to be considered for instis like MIT.
Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 pm
Hello Arindam Das,

Thank you for your post!

As you may be aware, as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factor in your candidacy. Fortunately, a 740 GMAT score will be competitive, as will your GPA. That said, you need to think about what would differentiate you further in the admissions process. It looks like you have a keen grasp of your impact on efficiency and the bottom line for Tata, but you will also need to emphasize your direct management and leadership in your applications. Your personal interests in music and motorcycles should add some color to your applications, but it would help you to be more competitive to engage your community outside of work--in other words, outside of your comfort zone. Overall, it's important to be able to demonstrate interests and activities outside of school or work. It seems like music and motorcycling will be especially important activities for you, but you may also want to consider getting involved in at least one club or other group-based organization in order to fully showcase the kind of community member you would be in school. Finally, given that you want to return to India, I'm assuming you do not have experience outside of India and that would impact schools' perception of your experience. In other words, international experience would make you more competitive by helping you stand out in the admissions process.

In terms of programs to consider, you could have MIT / Sloan on your list, along with Chicago Booth, though I think these may be stretch options given your background and the depth of applicants coming from India. If you are interested in the Northeast region of the U.S., you may also look into Cornell / Johnson; they have several depth concentrations focused on finance. Given your interest in social entrepreneurship, you may look into Yale SOM as well; however, the adcoms may look for evidence of your commitment to social entrepreneurship in your record (to assure them of your commitment to this path), but it does not seem like you have supporting activities. Georgetown / McDonough also has an initiative in global social enterprise.

If you'd like to discuss how you can stand out in the admissions process or school options more, please contact us directly at www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.