No less impressive than the invention.......Veritas question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
No less impressive than the invention of the light bulb by Thomas Edison, widely considered the greatest inventor of his time, was the invention of the electric motor and the discovery of alternating current by Nikola Tesla, Edison's archrival during the late 19th and early 20th century.

A. was the invention of the electric motor and the discovery of alternating current by Nikola Tesla,
B. was the invention of the electric motor, the discovery of alternating current by Nikola Tesla, who was
C. had been invention of the electric motor and the discovery of alternating current by Nikola Tesla, who was
D. were the invention of the electric motor, as well as the discovery of alternating current, by Nikola Tesla,
E. were the invention of the electric motor and the discovery of alternating current by Nikola Tesla,

Source: Veritas
OA: E

1- can the past perfect be a decision point to eliminate Choice C?

2- In Choice D, is "by Nikola Tesla' right construction?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:36 pm
Mo2men wrote:1- can the past perfect be a decision point to eliminate Choice C?
The past perfect serves to express an action completed before another past event.
C conveys the following comparison:
Invention of the electric motor and the discovery of alternating current by Nikola Tesla had been no less impressive than the invention of the light bulb by Thomas Edison [had been impressive].
Since the second clause lacks a verb, the verb in brackets is implied.
Here, there is no justification for the usage of the past perfect verbs in red, since the actions conveyed are not completed before another past event.
Eliminate C.
2- In Choice D, is "by Nikola Tesla' right construction?
D: No less impressive...were the invention of the electric motor, as well as the discovery of alternating current, by Nikola Tesla.
Here, the modifier in red is nonessential.
If we remove this nonessential modifier, we get:
No less impressive...were the invention of the electric motor by Nikola Tesla.
Since were (plural) does not agree with the invention (singular), eliminate D.
The usage of the modifier in green is correct.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3