New items developed

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

New items developed

by atulmangal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 am
New items developed for automobiles in the 1997 model year included a safer air bag, which, unlike previous air bags, eliminated the possibility that a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire.
A. inflated, and making
B. inflated, so that it could make
C. inflated and made
D. inflated and make
E. inflated to make

This question had been discussed earlier...some people say that OA is D some say OA is E
I'm convinced that Op E is not the OA and OA has to be Op D, but still can anyone suggest, Why MAKE NOT MADE in Op C....MADE is the past participle....SMOKE WOULD APPEAR...SMOKE MADE...M is missing something...please clear...???

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 am
IMO as the sentence contains would base form of the verb shud be used, which is make.

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:21 am
IMO C.

Doesnt E convey wrong meaning ? "to make " implies intention .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 am
Burst of smoke would appear and make is the parallel core of the clause..

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 am
Jim@Grockit wrote:Burst of smoke would appear and make is the parallel core of the clause..
Thanks Jim,

I missed this point...Would Appear...

Thanks a lot

Best Regards
Atul

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jainrahul1985 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:58 am
GMATGURU says E
https://www.beatthegmat.com/inflated-and ... 68874.html
2 other experts say D
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-good-sc-ne ... 65616.html

Though I agree with GMATGURU .

Can couple of more experts like STUART or RON confirm the answer ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 am
jainrahul1985 wrote:GMATGURU says E
https://www.beatthegmat.com/inflated-and ... 68874.html
2 other experts say D
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-good-sc-ne ... 65616.html

Though I agree with GMATGURU .

Can couple of more experts like STUART or RON confirm the answer ?
I think they're all bad - what's the source? If it's 1000 SC, then let me stop you right there - don't do those questions, they're riddled with errors and inconsistencies.

If I were constructing the sentence, I'd say:
...eliminated the possibility that a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, making an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire.

Until someone confirms that this is an actual GMAT question, I refuse to vote for one of the 5 choices given!

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 am
I received a PM asking me to comment.
New items developed for automobiles in the 1997 Model year included safer air bag, which, unlike previous air bags, eliminated the possibility that a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire.

A. inflated, and making
B. inflated, so that it could make
C. inflated and made
D. inflated and make
E. inflated to make
A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
A: a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making
Here, making lacks a preceding parallel form.
Eliminate A.

In B, it is not crystal clear whether it serves to refer to a burst of smoke or to the bag.
Eliminate B.

C: the bag inflated and made an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire
Here, the implication is that the BAG made the passenger think the car was on fire.
The intended meaning is that A BURST OF SMOKE would make the passenger think the car was on fire.
Eliminate C.

Generally, an infinitive modifier serves to express the INTENT of the preceding subject.
E: the bag inflated to make an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire
Here, the usage of to make implies that the bag INTENDED to make the passenger think the car was on fire -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members

by lunarpower » Wed May 18, 2011 12:57 am
i agree that this problem is non-official, but it's not horrible.
GMATGuruNY wrote:The problem with D is that the parallel structure would appear...and make implies a series of two distinct actions.
i don't necessarily agree with this.
cf. og11 #78, which contains the following construction:
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen...

this is not a series of two distinct actions, but it's connected with "and".

Since the intended meaning seems to be that these two actions happened at the same time, D should say the following: the smoke would appear when the bag inflated, making an already terrified passenger think that the car was on fire.
agreed that this is *normally* the best way to write such a thing.
however, such a wording would cause problems here, as there are two different actions ("eliminated" and "would appear") in the preceding clause; since COMMA -ING could technically modify either of those two constructions, it's not as good as including a verb that is clearly parallel to "(would) appear" and just as clearly *not* parallel to "eliminated".
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 18, 2011 4:06 am
lunarpower wrote:i agree that this problem is non-official, but it's not horrible.
GMATGuruNY wrote:The problem with D is that the parallel structure would appear...and make implies a series of two distinct actions.
i don't necessarily agree with this.
cf. og11 #78, which contains the following construction:
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen...

this is not a series of two distinct actions, but it's connected with "and".
I'm not quite sure that the two situations are analagous.

The following would feel a bit awkward:

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy, seeing monkeys sleeping on the branches....

That the visitors have often seen the monkeys seems too important to place in a modifying phrase. The sentence would be left with only one main action (looked up), which doesn't really convey the point of the sentence. To convey the intended meaning of the sentence, the two actions (have looked up and seen) need to be kept distinct.

The following, however, feels correct:

A burst of smoke would appear, making an already terrified passenger think...

Granted, the version above benefits from the omission of when the bag inflated, the inclusion of which would make it unclear whether making is modifying burst or bag.

Given a choice between a parallel structure (a burst of smoke would appear...and make) and the structure suggested above (a burst of smoke would appear, making), I strongly suspect that the GMAT would prefer the latter.

Consider OG12 #47, in which answer choice E is incorrect:

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests...,and brought to 34 the number...

Whereas answer choice A is the OA:

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests...,bringing to 34 the number...

While the use of brought in E creates a punctuation issue, I think that the primary error in E is that the two actions (left and brought) are not distinct.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed May 18, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed May 18, 2011 4:26 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: Regardless, it should be noted that in OG12 #47, answer choice E is incorrect:

While the use of brought in E creates a punctuation issue, I think that the primary error in E is that the two actions (left and brought) are not distinct.
the primary issue with answer choice (e) in that problem isn't the "and" construction itself; it's the incorrect relationship between subject and verb that is created by that construction.
specifically, that choice (e) contains the construction "left ... and brought", which requires "five fledgling sea eagles" to be the subject of both verbs.
this is not problematic in the case of the first verb (because the sea eagles are really the ones that left), but it is problematic in the case of the second -- because the sea eagles themselves did not bring up the number; rather, their act of leaving the nest did.
therefore, the verb "brought" can't be expressed in such a way that "five fledgling sea eagles" is its subject, as that would be an incorrect meaning; it has been expressed as a modifier that modifies the action of leaving the nest, because that's the only way the sentence makes sense.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 am
lunarpower wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: Regardless, it should be noted that in OG12 #47, answer choice E is incorrect:

the primary issue with answer choice (e) in that problem isn't the "and" construction itself; it's the incorrect relationship between subject and verb that is created by that construction.
specifically, that choice (e) contains the construction "left ... and brought", which requires "five fledgling sea eagles" to be the subject of both verbs.
this is not problematic in the case of the first verb (because the sea eagles are really the ones that left), but it is problematic in the case of the second -- because the sea eagles themselves did not bring up the number; rather, their act of leaving the nest did.
therefore, the verb "brought" can't be expressed in such a way that "five fledgling sea eagles" is its subject, as that would be an incorrect meaning; it has been expressed as a modifier that modifies the action of leaving the nest, because that's the only way the sentence makes sense.
Perhaps, but I don't quite agree with this analysis. I would argue that the eagles did in fact bring the number to 34; they accomplished this action when they left their nests. The purpose of the present participle bringing is to indicate that the two actions were contemporaneous.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by jainrahul1985 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:05 am
Stuart/GmatGuru/Ron :

Is this a bad question to practice or do we really have correct answer for this ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 am
jainrahul1985 wrote:Stuart/GmatGuru/Ron :

Is this a bad question to practice or do we really have correct answer for this ?
as i said above, it's ... not horrible.
there is one answer choice that (a) makes sense and (b) is clearly better than the others, even if it's not necessarily perfect.

in fact, i would say that this problem is actually on par with the quality of many of the problems in the OG verbal supplement (which, as a whole, are definitely lower-quality than the OG12 problems -- you can tell that there has definitely been an increased quality-control movement, heh).

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by jainrahul1985 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 am
Ron : if you are saying Answer should be B , then how to eliminate rest of the options . I am totally confused now .