NEVER LIKED MATHS

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

NEVER LIKED MATHS

by Beyzz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:09 am
Hi all,

I am 22 years old and I just graduated from business administration. I can't decide whether I should start a master study or start working immediately. I kind of have a job already in a pharmaceutical comnpany in the supply chain department. The funny thing about my background is that I have always hated maths, I always avoided topics or conversations relating numbers. I do not even know how I managed to pass my finance and statistics courses or how I graduated or ended up working in a deparment where I constantly work with numbers and formulas. I even followed my internship in one of world's top financial consulting firms. In real life its different, I really feel like I am a fraud!

I realize that I have to catch up on my math skills ASAP! Seeing my friends ending up doing their masters in good universities inspires me everyday to take the GMAT test. If I do, I want to follow my masters in Erasmus University Rotterdam, they require a GMAT score of minimum 600. Honestly, I really don't think I can evem make it to 400! People are talking about scores of 700 and asking whether they should retake it or not :/

I don't know what to do, where to start and how long it will take me to prepare myself for it. I know for sure that 2-3 months is not enough!

Please help me out!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:48 am
To improve your quantitative score, I believe that you should compartmentalize your learning and take the time to master each topic (e.g., percents, ratios, exponents, statistics, etc.). This means that, for each topic, you should:
1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
2) Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then, move on to the next topic.

To help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

While completing questions from the Official Guide (OG), you should you use an Error Log (aka Improvement Chart). You can find a free downloadable Improvement Chart here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log. This will help you identify and strengthen your weak areas.

You should also spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site. They model the steps one should take when tackling math problems.

In addition to learning the core concepts and GMAT-specific strategies, be sure to work on your endurance and test-taking skills (e.g., time management) by taking several practice tests. If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Finally, you might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).
Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Beyzz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:06 am
Thank you very much! I am going to do my best!!

by Beyzz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 am
Thank you very much! I am going to do my best!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 am
Hi Beyzz,

Most MBA programs require a certain amount of work experience, but since your GMAT score is good for 5 years, you could study now (and take the Test) and then apply to school later. Some schools don't require much work experience, so there's also the possibility that you could apply to school this year.

The GMAT is a predictable, standardized exam, so you CAN train to crush it. It sounds like Erasmus University doesn't require a really high GMAT score, so your goals are a bit more modest compared to those of others.

Before we worry too much about how long it will take you to study, we need to get a sense of your current ability level. I suggest that you take a FULL-length practice CAT to get a sense of your "starting point"; you can download 2 for FREE from www.mba.com. You'll find that first test to be challenging, but that's okay. Most Test Takers screw up their first couple of practice Tests - that's part of the learning process. It takes about 4 hours to complete a full CAT, so make sure that you've set aside enough time for it.

Once you've taken the CAT, report back with your score and we can assess it and put together a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by davidson333 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 am
Every field in the field in the work needs hard work and if you want to be learn any thing then you should know that you should keep learning it is very necessary to keep you and your study on track.