Need suggestion on practice tests

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need suggestion on practice tests

by Rsmj » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:08 am
Hi All,
I took GMAT in February this year and got a 680(Q48 V35). I am not satisfied with the result and plan to take the test again. I am facing a dearth of mock tests now since I exhausted all the practice tests(6 Manhattan and 4 GMATPrep) I had access to, during my preparation for the GMAT last time.
I took one Manhattan CAT again after resetting the tests but I feel that the score I got(730- Q45V44) was a bit inflated because many of the questions were familiar. I am not sure whether resetting these tests and taking them again is a good idea and whether it will give me any meaningful insight into my current performance level.
I want to practice a few full length tests before taking a shot at GMAT again. Any suggestions on what should be the course of action for me?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 am
Opinions differ on this matter.

My 2 cents:

The GMAT is the best source of questions AND these practice tests use the official scoring algorithm. So, while there's the downside of some repeated questions, there's also the bonus of taking the most realistic practice test.

Remember that the GMAT is computer adaptive and questions are drawn from a large pool of questions. So, while you will see duplicate questions (about 6 or 7 per section), the majority of questions will be new to you. When/if you see a duplicate question, you can minimize score inflation by waiting 2 minutes before you enter your response (otherwise, you'll gain undeserved time that you wouldn't normally have had.)

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article for BTG on this topic: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Rsmj » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 am
Thanks a lot Brent for your prompt and crisp response.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:37 pm
Hi Rsmj,

First off, a 680/Q48 is a great score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you can apply to any Business School you choose. Remember that the strength of your OVERALL application is the issue and that no GMAT score (not even an 800) would guarantee you anything.

The GMAT is a specific 'event', so properly training to take the GMAT (and improving your scores) requires a high level of training and attention to detail. As such, you have to take each practice CAT in as realistic and test-like a fashion as possible. To that end, you have to take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), take the CAT at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, away from home, in a quiet environment, on a desktop computer if possible, etc. Taking a CAT that you've previously used is NOT realistic; even if you attempt to 'compensate' for the repeat questions, the experience cannot be considered accurate and the score results that you'll see will almost certainly be artificially 'inflated.'

Thankfully there are plenty of reliable CATs available. Since you've used the MGMAT and GMAC CATS, you could next use the Veritas or Kaplan CATs. You should not go "CAT crazy" though - taking lots of CATs is NOT how you become a better Test Taker. The score improvement that you're looking for will come from practice, review, drills, etc. Taking a CAT is just a way to measure your progress.

1) What resources did you use when you studied previously?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What Business Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) When are you planning to apply?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:53 am
Hi rsmj,

I have to agree about not going too CAT crazy. We recently posted on our blog about why you should avoid burnout, which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/1MM02GI. Especially considering you previously scored a 680, try to not overload yourself on taking too many practice tests.

That being said, if you haven't done so already, here's a link to sign up for a free 7-day trial for The Economist's GMAT Tutor: https://bit.ly/1bPAHuW. While I still think you should avoid overloading on too many practice tests, the adaptive technology in GMAT Tutor will highlight the areas you should be focusing on most.

Good luck!
Rich