need help with situation- please advise

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

need help with situation- please advise

by rdjtexas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 am
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I am planning on applying to two top30 mba programs. With Round 2 deadlines fast approaching here is my following dillema. I currently have an application under review for my native american ancestry. I am 1/8. It is not a huge part of my culture but still a unique factor. I am confident the application will be processed and I will be certified in about one month but will miss round 2 deadlines if I choose to check this race status. Do I?

1) apply round 2 and disregard race...checking white
2. wait for certification and apply round 3
3. apply round 2 under Native american and explain situation in essay to adcom

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

Re: need help with situation- please advise

by Graham » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:19 am
Dear rdjtexas,

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if you've already applied or not, but here's my two cents:

1) How certain are you that your 1/8th status will be approved? If you are sure this is a lock - and it's merely a matter of administrative paperwork, I'd lean towards checking the box.

2) Have you double checked with your target programs in terms of any requirements they might have for both percentage (e.g. is 1/8th sufficient) and policy (what sort of proof do they require and when)? You might call them and just openly ask this question.

3) At the end of the day, applying in R2 is far more important that waiting until R3 - no matter what boxes you can check in the application.

4) Your compromise idea - of checking the box and providing a (hopefully brief) explanation would likely be the best way to go (if you haven't called the schools in question to get their policy on it, etc).

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rdjtexas » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 am
Thanks Graham! I appreciate the insight