Need help to understand parallelism

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help to understand parallelism

by beinghuman » Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 am
Hi Ron,

I want to understand "COORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS preceded by COMMA" structure and how it affects parallelism and the meaning of a sentence in GMAT

I will refer to few official questions to understand this better.

42) Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved
(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

I came across one of your explanations for the above question in BTG (https://www.beatthegmat.com/australian-e ... 38107.html) in which you have explained the below

if you have a comma before a coordinating conjunction - as in "X, and Y" - then X and Y MUST be parallel clauses.

with this in mind, let's turn to (a):

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal,
and
its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

in other words, the embryologists have found evidence regarding the elephant's ancestry - but NOT about the trunk (this is just stated as a standalone fact).

I think that you have explained it very well , and that when you said parallel clauses, you meant only parallel independent clauses. But with this understanding when I tackled the below problem few doubts crept into my mind.

According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but was more likely to begin as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication, and only later merged with spoken language.

(A) was more likely to begin as
(B) more than likely began as
(C) more than likely beginning from
(D) it was more than likely begun from
(E) it was more likely that it began

In this case the OA is option B. Now if we substitute the option B in the original sentence it will read as below.

According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication, and only later merged with spoken language.

In the above sentence there are majorly 3 parts connected by coordinating conjunctions but and and
Part 1: According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech
Part 2: more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication
Part 3: only later merged with spoken language.

According to your explanation to the previous question as this question has comma + coordinating conjunction structure, the above three parts should be parallel clauses.

My first question is whether Part 2 and Part 3 can be treated as parallel clauses? I ask this question because I can see that the subjects are missing in part 2 and Part 3.
Now if we can assume the subject "the earliest writing" for Part 2 and Part 3 the 3 parts will read as below

Part 1: According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech
Part 2: The earliest writing more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of
communication.
Part 3: The earliest writing only later merged with spoken language.

Now my second question is that if these are 3 independent clauses won't it mean that only the Part 1 is "According to scholars" but not the Part 2 and Part 3.? Here I am applying the same logic which you have explained/applied for the previous question.

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal,
and

in other words, the embryologists have found evidence regarding the elephant's ancestry - but NOT about the trunk (this is just stated as a standalone fact).

Please share your views.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 am
The primary difference between the examples that you've shown is that in the elephant example, the clauses have different subjects, whereas in the "earliest writing" example, the subject is the same for all 3 parallel elements.

In the elephant example, it's easy to see that we have parallel clauses:

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that:
1) the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and
2) its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

I want to point out that these are not technically independent clauses - they're both framed by THAT, which makes them parallel subordinate clauses. (Not a major distinction for the parallelism in this case, but just fyi).

In the second example, you're correct in your assessment of the 3 parallel parts:
Part 2: The earliest writing more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of
communication.
Part 3: The earliest writing only later merged with spoken language.
When you have a list of parallel verbs with the same subject, you can express it one of two ways:

The student studied GMAT rules, she practiced OG problems, and she reviewed her work. [Subject verb, subject verb, and subject verb]

The student studied GMAT rules, practiced OG problems, and reviewed her work. [Subject, verb, verb, and verb]

Technically speaking, the first is a list of 3 parallel independent clauses, while the second is a single independent clause: one subject with 3 compound verbs.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by beinghuman » Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 am
Hi Celidh,

Thanks for your reply. i am still a little confused with your explanation. kindly help me to understand the same. According to me what you are trying to say here is different from what Ron said earlier (highlighted in the previous post)

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal ,and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

What Ron said is that in the above sentence if the COMMA+AND structure is present(which actually is present) then the above sentence will be interpreted as below. i am quoting him below

if you have a comma before a coordinating conjunction - as in "X, and Y" - then X and Y MUST be parallel clauses.

with this in mind, let's turn to (a):

and

and that's why i think the answer to the above question is answer E which removes the COMMA from the original sentence and also puts a that before trunk.

To sum it up ,Ron says that in the above sentence these are the two clauses

Clause 1: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal

,and

Clause 2: its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel

But if i am not wrong when you say that

In the elephant example, it's easy to see that we have parallel clauses:

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that:
1) the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and
2) its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

You interpret the sentence as below

Clause 1: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal,
and
Clause 2: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

Now these are two different interpretations leading to two different meanings.Please clarify whether i am missing something here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 pm
i received a private message about this thread (a long, long time ago -- there's been a lot of traveling between then and now).

if you see the following construction ...
complete sentence, and complete sentence
... then the primary interpretation is that the two complete sentences are separate observations. see, in general, that's the whole point of putting the comma there in the first place: to say, "hey, look, new thought".

e.g.
(1)
Marian was upset because she was late, and Ray did not show up at all.
--> the comma is here to indicate that there are 2 separate ideas: (i) Marian was upset because she was late, and, separately, (ii) Ray didn't come at all. in particular, Marian was not upset at Ray for skipping the event (at least as far as we can tell, anyway).

(2)
Marian was upset because she was late and because Ray did not show up at all.
--> Marian was upset about both things: (i) her own tardiness, (ii) Ray's absence.

what you don't want here, because it's ambiguous, is the version "in the middle" -- i.e., the version that doesn't have the comma, but also doesn't have the second "because".
i.e.,
(3)
Marian was upset because she was late and Ray did not show up at all.
--> this is a bad sentence, because we honestly don't know which of the above 2 interpretations is intended.

--

if you see construction (1) or (2) above, you can be pretty sure about what it signifies (especially if it's in a split with other, different constructions).
if you see (3) you should avoid it.

by the way -- in the problem transcribed in this thread, choice (a) contains "evolving", but, in your quote from me (in blue letters), there's "evolved" instead.
if that choice indeed says "evolving", then you've got another, more obvious, problem, which is that "evolving" isn't parallel to anything.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron