This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 pm
Hi vaisakh,

Based on the Verbal score listed in your profile, it's likely that you're going to need to enroll in a prep course and/or work with a tutor. You will probably need to devote more time to studying as well. I'm going to recommend that you research the options listed on this site; try some of the free resources (watch videos, do quizzes, etc.) and decide which program is best for your personality and budget. The good news is that the GMAT is predictable, so you can train to beat it. The bad news is that it's going to take some serious time and effort (and likely some money).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47 am
Hi there!

I actually disagree (somewhat). In my opinion, a tutor is best used for refinement, as most GMAT groundwork can be done on your own. Is English your second-language? If so, then it TOTALLY makes sense why your Verbal would be a bit lower starting out.

I'd start out by really refreshing English grammar rules. You might want to pair a serious book like the Oxford Guide or the guides published by McGraw-Hill or Longman, with a "fun" book like Writer's Express or English Grammar for Dummies. Start identifying the subject and the verb of every sentence correction, as well as any dependent clauses. THEN move on to Manhattan GMAT's Sentence Correction.

Also keep a vocabulary journal. Write down any words you don't know as you encounter them. You'll start to notice that certain words appear over and over again. Make flashcards for the ones that have tricky definitions or mean the opposite of what you'd expect.

Also be sure to go through all the Verbal OG questions.

THEN, I'd suggest a few "triage" sessions with a strong GMAT tutor to work on refining your Sentence Correction, CR, and RC strategies. But build up your own knowledge first!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)