Need help in Sentence correction.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help in Sentence correction.

by sudtiwari » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:59 am
I am scheduling my exam in October. My verbal scores are good but i am very weak in Sentence correction.
I am not able to undertstand the theory of the sentence correction.

Please guide me so that i can finish sentence correction easily.
thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:58 am
Hi sudtiwari,

Your prior posts were from about 5 months ago, so before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, I'd like to know more about how you've been studying during that time:

1) Have you been studying consistently or have you taken time 'off' during those 5 months?
2) What materials have you used?
3) What materials have you used to learn/practice SCs?
4) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 am
Feel free to check out our SC lesson here: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:24 pm
Many people see GMAT sentence correction as sort of a grammar test, and so they prepare by learning as many rules as possible and by studying many explanations to sentence correction questions.

The truth is that GMAT sentence correction, while it does involve the use of some language rules, is primarily a test of skill in seeing what is going on in situations and in using logic to make decisions. So to prepare effectively you have to train yourself notice key details and to use effective processes for differentiating between choices and choosing the best one.

Also, while reading explanations can be useful, especially in the beginning of your preparation, you will not learn to rock GMAT sentence correction by simply reading explanation after explanation, because the explanations are not giving you what you really need in order to score high in SC. What you really need is to become good at finding ways to choose the right answers on your own.

I wrote more about how to master GMAT SC in this post.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-do-i-mas ... tml#762120
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sudtiwari » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:26 am
1) Have you been studying consistently or have you taken time 'off' during those 5 months?

Hi Rich, yes i took off in between due to work. I am currently using the GMAT prep videos alone and the Official guide.

2) What materials have you used?

GMAT prep videos alone and the Official guide.

3) What materials have you used to learn/practice SCs?
Official Guide and verbal Official guide

4) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Overall scrore was around 550 in the gmat software

5) What is your goal score?

goal score 700+

6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

i am planning for admission in next year(2017) batch.

Please guide accordingly. Will be a great help. Scheduling exam in between oct 15-oct 20 2016

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 am
Hi sudtiwari,

With your current timeline, you plan to take the GMAT in less than 4 weeks. Unfortunately, raising a 550 to a 700+ in that time is not a realistic goal. You will likely need at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to hit your score goal. In addition, it's unclear how big a factor your performance on SCs is to your total score, so I have a few questions about your performance on each of the CATs that you've taken:

When you took your CATs:
1) How many CATs have you taken?
2) How did you score on each CAT (including the exact Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) Did you take them at home?
5) Did you take them at the same time of day?
6) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
7) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]