Need help - GMATPrep 1- 600(Q31,V41)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help - GMATPrep 1- 600(Q31,V41)

by nivinpk » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 am
Hi,

Just gave my first GMATPrep and scored a 600(Q31,V41). I am looking at pushing the score to about 700. I have 3 weeks to go before I give the GMAT. I find Verbal to be much easier and have not started on it yet. I am using the OGs to prepare and also MGMAT guides. Any strategies to help me improve my Quant scores to equal the Verbal? I have ample time to prepare since I am off work until I give the GMAT.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:38 am
Hi nivinpk,

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies so far:
1) How long have you been studying?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR)?
3) Can you push your Test Date back?

That third question is remarkably important, since 3 weeks might not be enough time for you to properly hit your goals. If your Verbal ability is truly that strong, then you likely won't need as much time to prepare as someone who was just beginning to study. The Quant section does require a lot of you though: formula knowledge, basic calculations, pattern-matching, tactics, learning more than one approach to answering questions , pacing, etc.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by nivinpk » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm
Hi Rich,

I've been studying for about a week now (only Quant since I am not really good at it).
I scored a 7 on IR. I did not do the essay bit since I am not too worried about it.
I cannot really push the test date any further since I will be getting back to work and things get really hectic.
I have reviewed the answers and outlined the areas which I need to work on. I seem to be doing better on DS though. I will be getting the MGMAT CAT package too. Maybe start on them next week to check how I'm doing in Quant. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:35 pm
Hi nivinpk,

Since you have just these 3 weeks to prep, you can either stick to the plan you've put together or swap it out for another. We can see how well you perform over the course of the next week and then evaluate (and make whatever changes we can) from there.

One of the important factors in properly training for the GMAT is the "endurance aspect." I'm sure that you'll perform just fine on the Essay portion, but that's not why you need to include that section when you take a CAT. You have to include it so that you become properly attuned to taking the full Test. By skipping the section, you're cutting out 30 minutes of work that you'll have to do on Test Day (before you see the IR, Quant or Verbal sections); this often leads to artificially "inflated" scores, since your brain wasn't as tired as it normally would have been and you might have performed better on the IR, Quant and Verbal sections than was realistic.

From here on out, when you take a CAT, you have to take the ENTIRE CAT. I'd further recommend that you take just 1 CAT/week - the balance of your studies need to be spent on practice problems, learning tactics, content review, etc. You should report back here after taking your next CAT so we can evaluate your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by nivinpk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:57 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for pointing out the 'endurance aspect'. I had not thought of that at all. Let me do some prep this week and come back to you with the score of the next CAT.

Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jacob003 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 am
Thanks for helping you guys are amazing. You helped me a lot