Need help - GMAT Score 640, sufficient?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help - GMAT Score 640, sufficient?

by Nescia » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:47 pm
Hello everybody,

I just took the GMAT and got 640 - Quant 43, Verbal 35. I am from Germany and would like to work in consulting after the masters.

Besides the GMAT, I have:
- Exchange year to Brazil when I was 16
- Apprenticeship: Foreign Language Correspondent for English and Spanish
- Bachelor of Arts in International Business (will finish it in August/September), depending on the grade of my bachelor thesis the overall grade will be between 1.6 and 1.8 (German grade) - I am not quite sure, but should be upper second class or better
- Semester abroad at CSUF in the US during my studies
- Internship (5 months) at Procter & Gamble
- Internship (6 months) at the German-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce (currently undertaking)
- Speak English, German, Portuguese, Spanish
- Have been volunteering at my exchange organization since I came back from Brazil in 2008
- Have worked for a student consultancy in my city last semester and finished one small project

I am planning to apply to the following universities for master programs (not MBA):

- LSE: International Management (one term abroad at a very good university in the USA or China)
- ESADE: International Management/CEMS
- Mannheim: Master in Management
- Cologne: International Management/CEMS
- UCD Michael Smurfit: International Management/CEMS
- NHH: International Business
- Bocconi: International Business/CEMS
- WHU: Master in Management
and a couple of ones in Germany where there's no GMAT neccessary as back up.

I would love to study at LSE, do you think I would have a chance at all with my GMAT score? I think I'd have to study at least 6-8 more weeks to boost my score near 700. Actually, do you think 6-8 weeks would be enough? I think I'd be able to study for 10-15 hours per week.
I don't know if LSE will still consider applications at that time though. Any ideas/recommendations?

I also really like WHU and ESADE, although especially ESADE is pretty expensive, just like LSE.

What do you think are my chances to get into those universities, especially LSE, ESADE, Bocconi, WHU, etc.? Would you retake the GMAT? Would you even apply with 640 at LSE? I am also open to other suggestions/options if you think I might have forgotten a university :)

Thank you in advance for your input.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:47 pm
I think you are in a pretty decent position. Obviously a 700 would make you a much stronger candidate, but the averages are lower for those schools and you are only looking for a masters. If you are going to invest the time in taking it again, I'm sure you can raise your score at least 20-30 points.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!