Need Help Creating Study Plan

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:49 pm
preptobismol wrote:Hi all,

Again, thank you for the help so far! It's made the jump into studying a lot easier for me.

I recently took one official GMAT test as a diagnostic and am hoping for a little feedback on how I should proceed. I scored a 600 (30Q, 42V). Clearly quant is where I need to focus my energy. On the quant I was only able to answer 23 questions before running out of time (10 DS and 13 other) and missed 8 out of 10 data sufficiency questions. I also spent the most time on DS.

How can I improve on DS and will this be enough to bring me into the 700 range? I was surprised by my low quant score as I'm currently an engineering student and am pretty proficient in math.
Your situation is very common among people preparing for the GMAT. The truth of the matter is that EVERYONE struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. Keep in mind that this question type is unique to the GMAT, so it's totally foreign territory.

It just takes time for the concepts and strategies to become secondary, at which point you may come to find that DS questions are actually easier than Problem Solving questions.

I could start listing dozens of DS strategies and common mistakes (like confusing the answer to sufficiency question to the answer to the target question), but it's easier to just direct you to our free set of videos that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:13 pm
Hi peptobismol,

I'd like to follow-up on something you mentioned.

When you say that you were "only able to answer 23 questions", does that mean that you physically ran out of time and did NOT answer the last 14 questions in the section?

Any question that is left unanswered is marked as incorrect AND is then penalized, so you MUST be sure to answer all of the questions (even if you're just quickly guessing), so that you can avoid the penalty. If you left those 14 questions unanswered, then the decrease to your score would have been significant. As such, there are multiple issues that you have to deal with (and not just DS).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:27 pm
preptobismol wrote:Hi all,

Again, thank you for the help so far! It's made the jump into studying a lot easier for me.

I recently took one official GMAT test as a diagnostic and am hoping for a little feedback on how I should proceed. I scored a 600 (30Q, 42V). Clearly quant is where I need to focus my energy. On the quant I was only able to answer 23 questions before running out of time (10 DS and 13 other) and missed 8 out of 10 data sufficiency questions. I also spent the most time on DS.

How can I improve on DS and will this be enough to bring me into the 700 range? I was surprised by my low quant score as I'm currently an engineering student and am pretty proficient in math.
I have seen multiple engineers struggle with GMAT math, at least in the beginning of their preparation.

This is not engineering math. The point is not to methodically work through equations to get to an answer that might not be a clean answer and might involve multiple decimal places. The point is to find shortcuts and as quickly as possible find some often trick way to get to what is often a clean, integer or simple fraction answer. This is a test of skill in using resources to achieve aims more than it is a math test.

In fact, when doing DS questions, generally the idea is not to find the answer at all, but rather to just see if one could find the answer. Actually finding the answer to DS questions tends to be unnecessary, and uses up time.

The 30 sounds a little low, but the fact that you got 8 DS wrong makes it sound as if you can fairly easily get your score much higher. Why? Because doing DS questions uses a skill set that one can go from not having to having in a month or two. I for one used to get queasy just looking at a DS question. So I did dozens of them and that changed everything. I also learned about certain things that people who are good at DS know about, such as avoiding C traps.

Don't neglect verbal too much, by the way. By getting to be more of an insider as far as understanding how the questions work and can be answered, you can likely boost that score 4, 5 or more points, and at the very least will lock in the respectable score you have already generated.

Here's a chart you can use to get a pretty good, if not perfectly accurate, idea of what you need to score on each section to achieve your overall score goal. For instance, if you can boost that verbal score to even just 44, and also get 44 on quant, which would be no big deal, according to the chart that would get you to the 710 - 720 range.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-cal ... at-scores/
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rahulzlpr » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:22 pm
HI All,

I have encountered a lot of forums wherein it is advised to divide quant and verbal preparation in blocks of 2 months and prepare separately. However some other plans advise to mix the topics as per days i.e. prepare for both sections in tandem. Which approach would be best to prepare. I will be using Manhattan guides and OG

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:15 am
HI All,

I have encountered a lot of forums wherein it is advised to divide quant and verbal preparation in blocks of 2 months and prepare separately. However some other plans advise to mix the topics as per days i.e. prepare for both sections in tandem. Which approach would be best to prepare. I will be using Manhattan guides and OG
There's no magic composition mix that will work best for everyone. (I'm assuming that you meant that the study plan you've seen is itself two months, and during these two months some days are exclusively quant and some days are exclusively verbal, not that you'd do only quant for 2 months and then only verbal for 2 months, which would, needless to say, not be advisable.) Partially, it will depend on how much time you have for each study session. If you have 45 minutes on a given day, that's probably not enough time to do both quant and verbal. If you have 2 hours, I think it would be entirely reasonable to split this time between subjects. Partially, your study mix will be determined by how you're doing on practice tests. Someone who is scoring 97th percentile on verbal and 32nd percentile on quant is not going to have the same study plan as someone who is scoring at 44th percentile verbal and 92nd percentile quant. However, if you're looking for a good template, the beatthegmat 60-day plan is a great place to start.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 am
Hi rahulzlpr,

For some Test Takers, skills and knowledge that are learned earlier in the study process can fade over time, so taking an "all of one subject, then all of another" approach to studying can be problematic. I've always been a supporter of a 'mixed' approach - some Quant and some Verbal each week, with a regular review of prior subjects throughout the study timeframe.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]