Natural science passage from RC99

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Natural science passage from RC99

by nasheen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 am
Thunderstorms generally develop in the late afternoon or evening hours, when moist, daytime air rises into the upper atmosphere as temperatures cool and denser, night-time air slides in underneath. Clouds of water droplets, generally supercooled (droplets whose temperature has fallen below 0 degrees Celsius but have not yet frozen), condense around dust particles in the air until a critical density is reached, at which point it begins to rain. Cloud-to-ground lightning occurs when a discrepancy in electric charge develops between a cloud and the earth. For reasons that are not widely agreed upon, a charge begins to build up in this mixed water and ice region. When this discrepancy reaches a certain "breakdown potential," the surge of electric charge known as lightning moves downward between the negative and positive charge centres in 50-yard sections called step leaders. Eventually, it encounters something on the ground that is a good connection, and, with the circuit complete, the charge is lowered from cloud to ground. This entire event usually takes less than half a second. It is by preventing the requisite charge polarization that scientists hope someday to discourage the creation of cloud-to-ground lightning, thereby making storms safer and easier to "•weather."–

Many authorities adhere to a hypothesis for cloud electrification theory which emphasizes that the charging process occurs when a supercooled droplet of water collides with an ice particle of precipitation size (a hailstone)-the precipitation model. At this moment a large portion of the droplet freezes-resulting in a negative charge on the forming hailstone-while a smaller portion, still lingering in its supercooled state, dissociates itself-taking on a positive charge. The relatively heavy hailstone, responding to gravity, then begins to fall, while the extremely light supercooled droplet is carried by updrafts to higher regions of the cloud. Assuming the veracity of this account of charge separation, scientists guess that they would be able to discourage polarization by reducing the quantity of supercooled water in a cloud. To this purpose they have conducted preliminary seeding experiments, in which they have attempted to initiate the freezing of excess water by dropping large quantities of dry ice and silver iodide into potential thunderclouds, the results of which are, however, as yet inconclusive.

A more recent convection model of the polarization process is offered by Bernard Vonnegut and Charles B. Moore, who contend that the primary cause of electrical charge formation in clouds is the capture of ionized (electrically charged) gas molecules by water droplets. The ions, so the theory goes, are absorbed by the droplets and transported by updrafts and downdrafts to various portions of the cloud. Vonnegut and Moore suggest that, in order to combat the effects of this transport of ions, it would be necessary to modify the properties of ions beneath accumulating clouds. In support of this explanation of cloud polarization they conducted a series of "space charge" experiments. Suspending a high-voltage wire above nine miles of Illinois countryside, Vonnegut and Moore released large quantities of ions into the atmosphere below, forming clouds. By means of airplanes specially equipped for electrical measurements, they determined that the ions were being distributed to differing regions of the clouds.

1. Which of the following options best summarizes the author's main point in the passage?
A. Several recent breakthroughs have increased our understanding of the causes of lightning.
B. Charge polarization in clouds can result both from the freezing of supercooled droplets and from the modification of ion properties.
C. The standard explanation of the causes of lightning is inaccurate and should be modified.
D. Scientists are not yet agreed on either the causes of cloud-to-ground lightning or the methods of controlling it.
E. To argue in favour of one model of polarization process.
2. It can be inferred from the information in the passage that the term "breakdown potential" as used in line 13 of the passage refers to:
A. a charge polarity sufficient to cause lightning.
B. the intensity of the lightning bolt.
C. the distance between the negatively charged earth and the positively charged cloud.
D. the duration of the lightning event
E. the point at which a cloud breaks down
3. According to points made in the passage by the author, scientists agree that lightning can occur when:
A. ions are transported by updrafts to higher regions of a thundercloud.
B. supercooled droplets collide with hailstones in clouds.
C. a difference in charge exists between a cloud and the ground.
D. dry ice is released into a potential thundercloud.
E. there is high moisture content in the atmosphere
4. Which of the following statements would be LEAST consistent with the account of cloud polarization offered by Vonnegut and Moore?
A. Charge is transported within clouds via updrafts and downdrafts.
B. Lightning is caused by a discrepancy in electric charge between a cloud and the ground.
C. Water droplets are capable of carrying an electrical charge.
D. Lightning occurs when positively and negatively charged droplets are absorbed by hailstones.
E. The main cause of electrical charge formation is the capture of ionized gas molecules

What will be the difficulty level of this passage?
Is it similar to GMAT style?

My timing was 13:16,how much time on average does passage like these
should be finished or do we need to take educate guesses?

D,A,C,D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sapana » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:00 pm
Nice ! took me around 8 minutes though :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by ktlee1981 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 pm
The average time depends a lot on your reading speed and whether English is your native language. For example, I clocked in at 3 minutes 55 seconds (approximately 2 minutes to read, and around 1 minute 55 seconds to answer the questions) , all 4 questions correct, but I'm a native English language speaker and have been working in a profession that requires me to read a lot in a very short period of time and recall data and facts from what I read.

by feedrom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 am
ktlee1981 wrote:The average time depends a lot on your reading speed and whether English is your native language. For example, I clocked in at 3 minutes 55 seconds (approximately 2 minutes to read, and around 1 minute 55 seconds to answer the questions) , all 4 questions correct, but I'm a native English language speaker and have been working in a profession that requires me to read a lot in a very short period of time and recall data and facts from what I read.
Hi KTLee,

I've read some of your posts and am very impressed with your reading skills. Would you mind to share how you read a gmat passage with a lot of annoying facts (the facts that even don't make sense at the first reading)? Do you just get points and come back to the passage for details or you can "recall data and facts"? How would you be able to keep those details in your mind?

Thank you,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:17 am
Do you just get points and come back to the passage for details or you can "recall data and facts"? How would you be able to keep those details in your mind?
On a first reading, I focus less on the science and more on the PEOPLE.
My goal is to ascertain what everyone -- the majority of people, any specific people mentioned in the passage, the author -- thinks.

Paragraph 1:
For reasons that are not widely agreed upon, a charge begins to build up in this mixed water and ice region.
Scientists hope someday to discourage the creation of cloud-to-ground lightning, thereby making storms safer and easier to weather.

Paragraph 2:
Many authorities adhere to a hypothesis for cloud electrification theory which emphasizes that the charging process occurs when a supercooled droplet of water collides with an ice particle of precipitation size (a hailstone -- the precipitation model.
To this purpose they have conducted preliminary seeding experiments, the results of which are, however, as yet inconclusive.

Paragraph 3:
A more recent convection model of the polarization process is offered by Bernard Vonnegut and Charles B. Moore, who contend that the primary cause of electrical charge formation in clouds is the capture of ionized (electrically charged) gas molecules by water droplets.
So the theory goes...

The phrases in red reveal the author's point of view.
Not widely agreed upon
Scientists hope
Many scientists adhere
The results are inconclusive
A theory is offered
So the theory goes

Implication:
The author does not know which theory is correct and questions whether scientists will in fact learn how to make storms easier to weather.

I read for scientific detail when answering the questions.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by feedrom » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:22 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
On a first reading, I focus less on the science and more on the PEOPLE.
My goal is to ascertain what everyone -- the majority of people, any specific people mentioned in the passage, the author -- thinks.
Thanks brilliant Mitch!

Do you think that most of RC passages can be "framed" by different opinions presented in the passages regardless of topics?