My MGMAT CAT scores, and new strategy?

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by samyak » Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 am
Thanks a lot caitlin for your reply.

I don't feel much uncomfortable with the OG12 questions. But I'm yet to go through the sectional question banks of manhattan-online prep.
Yes you are right in pointing out a few very valid points.
1> My accuracy in inferential questions from a RC is on the lower side.
2> My quant scores are OK.But I'm not that confident about my VA score.I aspire to score something around 740+ in GMAT. I've already taken an appointment on 5th july.
3> I'm bit patchy too in figuring out the tougher questions & feel but uncomfortable in guessing the answers intelligently for the same..

Please tell me how shall I approach these issues within this time-frame. I scored 740 in the official gmatprep pratice test-1.
I'll keep you posted with my scores on other MGMAT CATs.

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 am
Hi Samyak,

I'm glad it looks like you were able to analyze your weak areas. The next step is to focus on those areas to help improve your score. For RC, you might want to look through the strategies suggested in our RC guide. You might also want to redo problems, and analyze how you're doing them, to see if there are other ways to get to the same answer.

In terms of quant, you really want to take the same approach as with the RC problems. Take a problem, answer it, then answer it another way. Identify what content and strategies you used to answer the problem, and then see if you can answer it using a different method. This will help you gain a deeper grounding in the material, that you'll be able to use on more problems later on.

You might also pick up some good info in our free tutorials: https://www.manhattangmat.com/tutorials/

If you feel uncomfortable guessing, remember that if you can eliminate at least 1 or 2 of the answers, the chances of you choosing the correct answer increase significantly.

Also, if you were able to score a 740 on a GMAT prep test, that bodes well! Their standard deviation is about 30 points, so either way, it looks like you're in the right ability level to score above a 700!

Best of luck,
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT