My last attempt at AWA before the gmat

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Katharine, Can you please evaluate this AWA. I appeared for the gmat prep this morning and below is the essay I wrote.

I was not able to copy the text, so I am posting the pictures of the essay.

Can you please comment on the usage of words 'sales' in the last para. Is the word "sales' correct here or should the word be 'sale' ?

I really appreciate your valuable time and effort. Your comments are helping me improve immensely.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:19 pm
Hello NailTheMonster,

You've made progress from the last AWA, and I think you should feel comfortable about studying for other sections of the GMAT.

Writing: There were fewer errors, but you should still review the essay for mistakes before submitting. "Cliams" should be "claims" in the first sentence. "Heart's Delight" should always be capitalized because it's the proper name of a store, and you forgot to capitalize "delight" once. "Sales" is the right word in the conclusion, but you want a plural verb: sales ARE increasing, not is. "Doind" should be "doing."

Structure: The intro and conclusion are much stronger this time, and your summary of the argument in the prompt is short and to the point. The conclusion showed major flaws in the prompt and briefly restated how to improve the argument. While the body paragraphs were shorter, they had strong content. I'm glad that you included a specific list of ways to improve the argument.

Arguments/Examples: I found your arguments convincing, and you included several good examples of how the reasoning is flawed. Your arguments/body paragraphs tend to be the strongest part of your essays, and that's still the case here.

Suggestions for Improvement: Again, taking time to read through and catch errors is important. A typo in your very first sentence shouldn't happen. Your intro/conclusion paragraphs are much better than in your first essay. I think that this is the best response of the three you've written, and you should move on to reviewing other areas of the GMAT. Make sure to save a few minutes to read through the response before submitting, and you'll be able to fix these minor issues.

Good luck!
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by NailTheMonster » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 pm
Thanks Katharine ! Your feedback is like the golden treasure for me . I will definitely work on proofreading essay before submitting.
Thanks a lot for helping me in improving my essay writing skills. You are a great mentor.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:34 pm
Good luck! I wish you the best on test day.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying