Posted:
184 messages
Test Date:
None
Target GMAT Score:

My dilemma :(

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 am
Hello All,

I don't post a whole lot on here anymore but I am stuck in a predicament regarding b-school. Some of this info may be a tad personal, but I've asked around and I cannot get good advice as I don't know a whole lot of people in my situation

Heres my dilemma:
I'm 25, with about 3 years experience in my field, virtually a 4 point from Purdue in Electrical Engineering and a mid 700 GMAT.
I want to go to b-school sooner rather than later.
I have a girlfriend who I would like to marry soon.
I want to pursue a (possibly non-lucrative) career in social entrepreneurship. I have no desire to make big money.

She wants me to go full time to a top ranked program and suggests I apply to about a dozen schools around the country.

My opinion is that I should do it part time by moving to Chicago and applying to all the great schools in that area for the evening program, and get it paid for.

I would love to go full time but it seems to me to be impossible to try to:
maintain a relationship which would include getting married WHILE in school full time
maintain my personal health
save money for a house

And I would be in such deep debt by the time I got out it would be tough to recover. Anyone else been in this situation or have any advice? I'm struggling to figure this out.

Thanks in advance

PS: Shes a spender (big spender) not a saver, if that makes any difference.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
givemeanid Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
277 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:30 am
Quote:
Shes a spender (big spender) not a saver, if that makes any difference.
Et tu, Brute? Oh brother. What can I tell ya... overwhelming empathy is all I feel.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, go for what YOU want to do. Talk to her and talk to her twice and then talk to her two more times, to make her understand (and listen to her too). Be open to her ideas and balance it out in your mind what you feel comfortable with. You know what, it doesn't hurt to apply to a bunch of schools if you feel rushed into a decision. This way, you will have more time to make a consensual decision. If you later choose to go her way, you have choice of schools. If you choose to go your way, then you are out a few (hundred) green at the most.

Good luck.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:18 pm
This is a really tough situation, but I'd like to reiterate givemeanid's advice. I think you should go with your gut, if you think it's the right move for you with all factors considered...

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:19 pm
Also--not that it's my business, but it sounds like you should talk with your girlfriend about putting together a savings plan. You don't want to catch a chronic debt problem (b-school or not).

ldoolitt Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
184 messages
Test Date:
None
Target GMAT Score:
Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am
beatthegmat wrote:
Also--not that it's my business, but it sounds like you should talk with your girlfriend about putting together a savings plan. You don't want to catch a chronic debt problem (b-school or not).
I FINALLY (after months of subtle and not so subtle hints) got her to think about formulating a budget. I love her so much but her treatment and understanding of money are just so different from mine.

Ah well. Thanks all for the advice. I think that I'm just going to do what I feel makes sense.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:47 am
Check out http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com. It's a good personal finance blog with good info about saving, budgeting.

Good luck!

Icemastr Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
14 messages
Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:55 am
Ultimately you should go with what best fits your career goals. If you want a career that is not high in pay you should do your best to avoid debt from college. A $700+ monthly 15 year student loan payment can be a major burden even if you are making good money post graduation.

From my own experience going to college while working after just getting married is very tough. If I hadn't lived with my wife for three years before starting college while working I don't think things would have worked out either with college, work, or our relationship. Even now that I am about to graduate with my undergraduate degree while having worked full time, she still has trouble understanding my lack of time to spend with her.

From the few words you have said about your relationship it does not sound like you and your partner have much to learn about each other. Combining work and a beginning relationship or school and a beginning relationship are tough alone, combine all three and it will be quite a challenge that you probably are not prepared for unless you both have experienced it before.

With your GPA and GMAT considering you have great other factors there is no point for you to apply to 12 schools. This isn't applying to law school, the applications process is more involved and business school applications at top schools are over $200 each. I recommend picking 3-5 schools that you really want to attend and targeting those schools.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 61 topics
3 Roland2rule 61 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 VJesus12 14 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

102 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

99 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

86 posts
5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

80 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts