Multi-party proposed legislations

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Multi-party proposed legislations

by pareekbharat86 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:55 am
Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the members of the parliament of Country W. Although legislation proposed under the auspices of more than one party may not adhere as strictly to the agenda of each of the parties involved as legislation proposed by only one party, the political backing of the voting blocs represented by the cooperating parties make such proposals more likely to pass than proposals that come from a single faction alone. The benefit of multi-party initiatives is that legislation important to the general welfare of Country W that might otherwise have foundered in inter-party disagreements can effectively be enacted.

Which of the following statements by a minister of Party C in the government of Country W is most consistent with the beliefs of an individual political party in the situation described above?

a. "Our party would rather compromise on some of our issues and also see other parties compromise on their issues than run the risk of not having legislation that we propose pass."
b. "Our party would rather give up a few minor points of ideology than risk having the issues important to our constituents not be addressed as a result of the government's inability to pass any new laws."
c. "Our party would rather participate in an environment that fosters inter-party cooperation than persist in constant conflict with other parties."
d. "Our party would rather have other parties join in support of our legislation than join in supporting the proposals of other parties."
e. "Our party would rather have our proposals passed because they represent what is best for the welfare of our country than to become engaged in the agendas of other parties."

OA is B. Why not A?

I didn't quite understand the second sentence in the stimulus.
Thanks,
Bharat.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 am
WARNING: There are different versions of question based on the same stimulus. I just found an inference question with the same stimulus. Be sure to look at these answer choices and realize that this may be different than a version of this question that you have seen before.

The second sentence is the key to understanding this problem. It is a quite a sentence!
Although legislation proposed under the auspices of more than one party may not adhere as strictly to the agenda of each of the parties involved as legislation proposed by only one party, the political backing of the voting blocs represented by the cooperating parties make such proposals more likely to pass than proposals that come from a single faction alone.
Basically this means that the legislation will not be exactly what each of the particular parties would have written if they were totally in charge, however, the compromise legislation is much more likely to pass compared to perfect legislation (in the opinion of a party that sponsored the legislation alone) backed by just one party.

This is what leads us to choice B. If the party gives up a few points of ideology on this particular issue then the law might be passed. So it is each issue that is a compromise. This is why the sponsored law is a "multi-party initiative."

Choice A is something called "log-rolling" which is you support my bill and I will support your bill. In this case the compromise is not on each individual bill. Rather the parties take turns passing their legislation and then supporting the other parties as they pass the legislation. These would not be "multi-party initiatives" but rather lots of single-party initiatives from various parties agreeing to support each other's favorite bills.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by pareekbharat86 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:37 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:WARNING: There are different versions of question based on the same stimulus. I just found an inference question with the same stimulus. Be sure to look at these answer choices and realize that this may be different than a version of this question that you have seen before.

The second sentence is the key to understanding this problem. It is a quite a sentence!
Although legislation proposed under the auspices of more than one party may not adhere as strictly to the agenda of each of the parties involved as legislation proposed by only one party, the political backing of the voting blocs represented by the cooperating parties make such proposals more likely to pass than proposals that come from a single faction alone.
Basically this means that the legislation will not be exactly what each of the particular parties would have written if they were totally in charge, however, the compromise legislation is much more likely to pass compared to perfect legislation (in the opinion of a party that sponsored the legislation alone) backed by just one party.

This is what leads us to choice B. If the party gives up a few points of ideology on this particular issue then the law might be passed. So it is each issue that is a compromise. This is why the sponsored law is a "multi-party initiative."

Choice A is something called "log-rolling" which is you support my bill and I will support your bill. In this case the compromise is not on each individual bill. Rather the parties take turns passing their legislation and then supporting the other parties as they pass the legislation. These would not be "multi-party initiatives" but rather lots of single-party initiatives from various parties agreeing to support each other's favorite bills.
Wow! Thanks for introducing the term 'log-rolling' to my knowledge. I love law and politics. For some reason had to drop out of LLB (equivalent of JD in India).

Thanks for the explanation.
Thanks,
Bharat.

Followed by:1 members

by conquistador » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:02 am
differences between Multi-party initiatives and only one party or a single faction alone or Individual party are shown in table below.
Which of the following statements by a minister of Party C in the government of Country W is most consistent with the beliefs of an individual political party in the situation described above?

what does he refer when he said individual political party, is it a part of Multi-party(Left hand side of the table) or individual party(Right hand side of the table) on its own?