MSA then MBA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MSA then MBA

by andrewmh » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:52 pm
I've been reading around this forum and it's been a great help in my decision making process, however, I'm having trouble deciding on what route I should take.

I am graduating with my BS in BA option in ACCT from CSULA and I plan on sitting for the CPA exam early next year. Due to the new educational requirements, I could continue on my accounting path and use the additional classes as credit towards my MSA.

After gaining some more professional experience, I do want to join a competitive MBA program. CSULA does offer an MBA program, however, I want to join a top tier school, considering the objective of the degree.

I just want to know others' opinions on going this route. I do plan on getting my MSA from CSULA, because of the affordability of the program, but I do not want to waste my time nor money if it is not recommended.

The reasons I am not going directly into an MBA program are the reasons below:
1. I want more work experience so that I may fully comprehend the topics and absorb the material being taught.
2. I dropped out of school for 6 years and my previous GPA was absolutely horrible prior to reenrolling

To sum it all up, I feel as though I am left with two options for my future goals:
1. Earn my CPA/MSA and work professionally for a couple years to increase my chances in getting accepted into a competitive MBA program
2. Take 3 accounting classes at a community college to meet the educational requirements for the CPA exam then apply to an MBA program after working a few years in a professional environment

Any recommendations/thoughts?