Monash University vs Melbourne Business School

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I am planning to undertake a Master of Finance or a Master of Management with a concentration in finance. I graduated a year ago with a Bsc in Business Economics and have no work experience.

My target industry is either management consulting or a finance job within banking. The geographical regions I'm interested in is Asia/Pacific or Europe (UK, Germany).

I have one unconditional offer from Monash University and one conditional offer from Melbourne Business School, both to a similar cost. I need a target score of 600 for MBS and I am currently using EmpowerGmat for prep.
However, with one month left until enrollment and a GMAT score closer to 500 than 600, I am seeking some advice.

Value for money: MBS is ranked among the top 10% B-schools in the world whilst Monash business school appears on No rankings. Does this imply that I would be better off going to MBS in terms of value for money, school reputation, global career opportunities etc?

Is it worth paying a similar amount to Monash even though the business school is not globally recognized compared to MBS?

Overall, would it be more strategic to postpone my studies up to a year to get a higher GMAT score and get into a more well recognized B-school?

Thankful for advice,
Christian

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vidhya nidhi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:35 am
I am also planning to apply in university of melbourne as its better than monash university
could you tell me what is the minimum marks requirement in undergraduate level for admission in mbs

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 pm
Hi Christian

Melbourne Business School is definitely better if you talk about business and management courses and is seen as a highly reputed business school around the globe. Monash on the other hand is more popular for its IR and other related courses.

If GMAT is an issue at the moment then waiting a year and gaining some kind of experience although not required by schools might be helpful to you to actually understand and relate to the concepts better.

Good Luck!

Thanks

Manya Abroad Team