Mock test Score

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Mock test Score

by RiyaR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:23 am
Hey, I just gave a mock test from Veritas Prep and I scored a 680. I just wanted to know if I am on the right path?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm
Hi RiyaR,

I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT:
1) What were the Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR)?
3) Have you taken any other CATs? If so, then what were those score?

You ask if you're "on the right path", but I don't really know what you mean. A 680 is a really strong performance and assuming that you took this CAT in a test-like fashion, then you're in a good position to potentially score even higher on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by RiyaR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 am
I dont really remember the scaled scores unfortunatly....yes I took it like a an actual test. I took one more before this and I got a 670.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:00 pm
Hi RiyaR,

You mentioned that you don't remember the Scaled Scores, so I have some follow-up questions:

Did this CAT come with a "score report" or record of your performance that you can review?
If not, then I'd like to know what type of CAT this was. Was it pencil-and-paper or computer-based?
Did it include the Essay and IR sections?

Rich

by RiyaR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:15 am
Hey it was a computer adaptive test and it included IR and the essay Section. At the end, there was a summary which stated that I had balanced out my score in Verbal and Quant. I cant access it again as it was one of the free tests I found online

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 pm
Hi RiyaR,

If you took the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), then your score indicates that you put together a strong performance. Since you don't have access to the Scaled Scores, I assume that you also can't review the questions to see what you got correct/incorrect and how much time you took on certain questions. That information is rather valuable, especially when you're attempting to nit-pick your weak areas.

I recommend that you purchase a set of CATs so that you can continue to practice AND review your work. There are plenty of options to choose from.

Rich

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aishwarya garg » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:15 am
Your input was valuable Rich!
I also scored a 680 on my veritas practice test and am aiming for a 700+ score.

Could you suggest the best set of CATS which I should purchase to practice?

Thanks for your help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 am
Hi aishwarya garg,

You seem to have posted "versions" of the same message in several Forums. Here (below) is my response from one of those posts. In answer to your immediate question here though - as you continue to study, you will obviously take some additional practice CATs. Unfortunately, taking those CATs is NOT how you're going to improve (they're a part of how you're going to measure your progress). You're likely going to need to invest in some new GMAT study materials. I'll be happy to make some suggestions, once I have a bit more information on how you studied the first time.
--------------------

When a Test Taker's Official Score is significantly lower than his/her practice CAT scores, the reason is usually unrealistic practice or simply a "bad" Test Day. This means that we have to take a good look at how you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including Essay and IR) or did you skip sections?
2) Did you ever take a practice CAT a 2nd or 3rd time?
3) Did you ever do anything unrealistic or non-Test-like (pause the Test, take it on a laptop computer, take it at home, etc.)?

By giving yourself another 2 months to study, you have a lot of time to improve and fix whatever "issues" you had when you studied the first time.

1) Did you use any other practice materials besides the print materials that you mentioned?
2) What schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

Rich