MLT MBA Prep 2015

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by Nadia222 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm
@KJEN03 it happens but the primary goal behind all of this is getting into business school. For me I focusing on my gmat and preparing to hit 700. Once my GMAT is good then I will start the next phase of my plan. You can do it, I know a lot who have done it and I'm sure there are many more preparing for this upcoming application season. I'm sure I will see you at a few diversity events.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kjhen03 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 pm
@megatr0n I got my rejection via email. So I think you will get an email.

@Nadia222, very true. Thanks for the kind words. I am working on studying for the GMAT and working on which schools to apply to...I will see you around...

by vcheris » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 am
Nadia222 wrote:In my opinion, I feel that MLT has already filled their remaining spots. I interviewed this past Tuesday and received my admission decision on Wednesday night (waitlisted).
Are you still going to schedule to take your test before the 28th?

by Nadia222 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:07 am
Hi Vcheris,

No I rescheduled my exam. In my opinion wait listed pretty much means rejected, but if a space becomes available we would like to offer it to you. I don't know how many applicants were waitlisted and I do not think that those who were accepted are going to turn down their offer. If I took the gmat now, I'm sure I would do okay but that is not my goal. My goal is to crush the test my second time around not the the third.

Followed by:1 members

by SoBeMBA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 am
Well...I'm STILL waiting. I had my interview on 2/7 and I haven't received an answer either way. I'm assuming rejection right now, but it would be nice to have some finality.

by Megatr0n » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:17 am
Agreed. You are not alone! Feb 3.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:15 pm
Congrats to those who made it. I just finished MLT MBA Prep, and I can confidently tell you that it is a transformative and amazing experience. You will work your butt off, but you will be thankful for it in the end. I've been offered a full scholarship to a top 10 school. I credit MLT with supporting me on my path to making my dreams a reality.

For those Waitlisted or Rejected, I know it's not the outcome you were hoping for, but really try to take advantage of each other. Start building a network, even if it's not through MLT. Get the gmat done ASAP, don't procrastinate just because you no longer have the MLT deadline. Then, start figuring out your goals/story, researching schools, and connecting with other people.

Feel free to message me whether you're MLT or not.

by ShanChill » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:11 pm
I got the email saying I wasn't accepted to the MLT program yesterday, which sucks because I was really banking on MLT to get me through the admissions process. I gave myself one day to be upset about the decision and today I'm moving on. Right now I'm still focused and staying positive because the end goal is still attainable. MLT would have made the journey easier but it's still not impossible.

If anyone wants to start a group/forum to support each other on our journey to applying for Fall 2015 (timelines, tips, diversity weekends, networking etc.) let me know. We can still make it, let's move.

by Nadia222 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm
I'm with you on that one! My mentor was accepted to Duke, Ross and Johnson and he didn't have MLT to help him. He went to Cornell on a full ride.I think we need to start a forum because I know it's possible for us all to get into business school. I have been in contact with an MLT alum who pretty much broke the MLT process down for me. All of it is very doable. Having a support network is key to get through that grueling process. You can count me in!

by Nadia222 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:33 pm
**This is just a side note for those that were either waitlisted or rejected. We can all get into MLT once we are in business school. My mentor was nominated by Cornell to go into their business school internship recruiting program. So what I am saying is that once your admitted to b school, the school will nominate minority candidates who they feel could use the assistance of MLT.To be honest I think everyone would appreciate recruiting help once in business school. Yes, the brand name of the school speaks for itself but extra help and assistance won' hurt. Just my two cents.

by NextGreatLeader » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm
I'll reply to those of you who messaged me individually, but just a couple of notes for those waitlisted or rejected since a few people have asked me the same questions:

Regarding what you can do now:
1. Finish the GMAT. Just do it. I know private tutors are expensive, but so is b-school. A tutor is the best way to maximize your efficiency. I took the GMAT 3 times, and ultimately scored a 730. The test sucks, but you need to get it done.

2. Define your career goals/story. You must be able to give an articulate response to the following questions: What are your short and long term career goals? Why do you need an MBA? Why now? Even if you don't really know what you want to do, that's fine, but you need to have a story that makes it seem like you've got it together.

3. Get together with each other and practice these things. Down the line, ask each other for feedback on your essays, or conduct mock interviews.

MLT forces you to think about these things early, but you all are already ahead of the game. Set a strict schedule now for the next 9 months until Round 1 apps are due, then stick with it.

Lastly, a note regarding Nadia222's comment: The MLT program for once you're in business school is called MLT Professional Development. You can now actually join it before b-school. There's an application process that will take place this time next year. If you do MBA Prep, you're automatically accepted to PD. If you're not in MBA Prep, you can still apply for PD separately. I just started the PD program after finishing MBA Prep.

by Nadia222 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 pm
@Next Great Leader thanks for the info. You are right the GMAT does suck and that is why I want to take it twice (hopefully) and be done with it so I can focus on other things. In regards to the number of schools, I have a starting 6 line up, but I was told to take it down to 4. Which makes sense, because I do not want the quality of my apps be subpar, but I have heard about people applying to 8-12 schools. Is 6 school really too many?

by NextGreatLeader » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:36 pm
If you apply through the consortium, then that's not too many. I applied to 6. Five in round 1 and one in round 2. People at work told me that was too many, but my MLT coach actually encouraged me to apply to that many. It's not uncommon for MLTers or Consortium applicants to apply to that many schools.

The only restriction to applying too many schools is that you're asking a lot of your recommenders. (The consortium lets you use the same recs for all schools).

by kjhen03 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm
@ShanChill, count me in. Maybe some type of google group or another service. It will be great to have the network.

I just signed up for a GMAT class. Luckily my company will reimburse me for the class....

by Nadia222 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am
PSA: this is for those who expressed interest in working together on getting into business school for Fall 2015, I will be creating a google group or a group me group which is an IPhone app/android app. For those of you who are interested just send me a message and I will give you all of the details and we can figure out whether we want to use group me or google groups. I look forward to hearing from you all.