MIS for 5 years experience IT professional

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MIS for 5 years experience IT professional

by shikharsg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:07 pm
Hi,

I am planning to apply for MIS/BA courses for Fall 2015 with my GMAT score. By that time i will have around 5 years of experience into IT.
Initially i made up my mind for pursuing masters for Fall 2015 rather than MBA because of my low GMAT (590) and cost factors. But one of my friends did raise a question which i too think is valid. Hence i am posting my query here and looking to get some help from anyone who has knowledge for the same.

Looking at the class profile for MS, on a average candidates fall under the category of 2-3 yrs of work exp sometimes even less. I dont know how many fall under my category i.e around 5 yrs of work exp. My query is that for internships/jobs, do most companies have any criteria that they are looking only for freshers or candidates with < 3 yrs of experience? Do they prefer applicants with less work experience ??

Will my work exp (5 yrs) create an issue while searching internships and jobs after masters in US.

I don't know whether my concerns are valid but this thing is stuck in my mind and i would really want some clarification to keep concerns at bay.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Regards,
Shikhar

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:26 am
Hello

More work experience will not be a hindrance for you. In fact, it could give you an advantage over your classmates. Having said that a candidate with 5 years of work experience is more suited for an MBA program than an MS program.

What business schools are you planning to apply. If low GMAT is the only reason, then let me tell you that MS programs in top business schools happen to be very competitive almost as competitive as MBA programs. The average GMAT scores for MIS at a university will be close to or sometimes even higher than the corresponding MBA program. Also GPA and GMAT or GRE scores are the most important feature of the application. You should check out the MIS class profiles of your target schools to get an idea where you stand. Here's an example https://mays.tamu.edu/info/prospective/m ... -profiles/

I would advise you to retake GMAT and check out the MBA and MIS class profiles at your target schools

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target Business School

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 am
I agree in that your present GMAT score will be more of a hindrance than your greater work experience.

Good luck on the retake,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.