Military Profile Evaluation Request

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I am a Marine Officer with 10 years experience and am interested in transitioning from the service to another career. I am interested in applying to the business schools this fall for entrance to Class of 2019 cohort. Below are my basic stats; I appreciate any feedback.

Interested schools:

- HBS
- GSB
- Tuck
- Yale SOM
- Darden

In the short term, I am interested in pursuing leadership opportunities in general management, with a particular focus on non-profit leadership, social impact, and/or general management.strategy consulting. Long term goal is to work at the intersection of public-private space, where I can leverage the strengths of both. I know this is quite general and broad; I am still reflecting on where I want to go.

I prefer smaller school sizes and the case method

I have 100% post 9/11 GI bill.

Basic info:

- US citizen, indian ethnicity
- 31 year old male

Education:

- B.S in Business Management from Drexel University, 3.25 GPA
- Currently pursuing a Masters Degree in International Relations at the University of Cambridge (expected to graduate summer 2017)

GMAT:

- 700 (44Q, 42V, 7IR, 6 writing)

Work Experience:

- 10 years as a Marine Officer
- combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan
- humanitarian service experience in Japan (nuclear and tsunami crises of 2011)
- 6 years international experience (worked in Japan and am currently working in the as an Exchange Officer for the Ministry of Defence, UK)
- served as a Congressional Fellow/Legislative Assistant for a US Congressman
- Currently serve as an exchange officer and lead military and civilian personnel from all four services and three nations

Honors/Awards/

- Honor graduate from undergraduate NROTC program
- Honor graduate from advanced military school (out of 32 officers)
- two personal awards for leadership in combat; one personal award for service and leadership at the headquarters level

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 pm
MBA programs generally like strong military candidates, so that should bode well. You may need to explain why you are pursuing a masters now, when you want to pursue an MBA. Your UGPA / GMAT combo won't be the best part of your application. If you think you can get your GMAT up 20-30 points, that may be worthwhile doing, as will further focus on your goals (which you appear to realize). The schools you are targeting are some of the very best, so make sure you put in your best effort, early rounds may also help. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/