Midwest University - Collusion

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Re: Midwest University - Collusion

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:59 am
Awesome Ian...thanks a ton !!!!

Some minor queries for your reply.
Ian Stewart wrote: There are two issues with answer choice E. First, it begins by saying 'In many universities...'. There's nothing in the stem that would let us draw any kind of inference about *many* universities. Yes, the question says that recruiting violations have been a problem 'at other universities'. That doesn't mean there have been problems at 'many universities', only that there have been problems at *some* other universities. So in this respect, E goes too far.
In these type of scenarios....does other means "some" always in GMAT.... ? If there comes a option in GMAT that talks about many in a similar situation can we kick out the same...based on the logic that other cannot be generalized to many/most ? After reading your explanation it seems to me that many = most in GMAT....is my understanding correct ? Kindly confirm.
Ian Stewart wrote:Further, there is no suggestion that athletic offices are ever 'at odds' with admissions offices; in fact, the stem suggests the opposite (that they are at least sometimes in 'collusion'). The question nowhere suggests that athletic offices are in conflict with admissions offices, so it's certainly not a valid inference here.
Thanks. This word("collusion") was the real culprit I suppose....actually I was thinking that this word means "opposition/infighting"....but just now after reading your reply I checked the dictionary....the actual meaning is "agreement" :-)....just opposite to what I was thinking. !!!
Ian Stewart wrote: The passage suggests that Midwest University's policy is not one shared by every university. That is, while at Midwest, "Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability", this is not the case at some other universities. From this, we can infer B directly.
Just one minor query here....doesn't language of B seems to say that university is giving students money even though they are not admitted to university....i.e. distributing money to "non" students.

wouldn't B be better if B would have been....

"Some universities offer financial assistance to athletes who would not be admitted to the university "solely" on the basis of their academic records. "

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

B

by sumank8216 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:44 pm
B

Some here tells us that it is not an extreme answer. There are some universities, which have different admission procedure from Midwest. There could be 1, 2 , so we can safely say 'some'.

But we cant say 'many'. that would be an extreme answer.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kate.loo » Mon May 16, 2016 12:34 am
'm pretty confident that B is correct answer