MGMAT Mock 1- 470; Mock 2: 420. Disappointed. HELP!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I gave two MGMAT mocks in the last two weeks. First: 470 (Q32, V24) and second one: 420 (Q27, V23). The second one I actually gave it in frequent pauses because I couldn't concentrate on the questions as I was stuck. Also, I couldn't attempt 8-9 questions in quant and 6-7 questions in verbal because the time got over. I scored 590 in my first GMAT prep which I gave last year in Nov-Dec, 2015. These 400s score are scaring me to death and given the time I'm left with (30-45 days) for preparation since I want to apply in the 1st round and focus on my application as well.

To give you a background about how I have prepared so far and my progress on my preparation:

1.) I have started my preparation solely based on MGMAT books and have covered almost the books with practice questions except RC, SC and CR which still have a few chapters remaining. I have been studying on and off from last 6-7 months due to my high pressure job.

2.) I have recently started practicing OG and have covered all the quant questions and covered 40-50% questions in the remaining sections.

3.) For verbals, I have recently started using e-GMAT and is very helpful so far.

I'm not sure where I'm lacking in preparation or stamina or basics or my practice ability. Also, I have a lot of study resources and I'm confused how to best utilize them all given I have very less time left. My target score is at least 700+ and by any means I have to get it and I'm ready to put in whatever it takes. Since I want to apply in 1st round for Bschools in September, I would really appreciate if someone can help or guide me in upping my game.

Thanks for your help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 am
Hi rajatsha,

Using these two CAT scores as a reference, you will have to make some BIG improvements to BOTH the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores to hit your score goal. Unfortunately, raising a 470 to a 700+ in 45 days is not a realistic goal. While you can take the GMAT at that time, you'll almost certainly have to re-take the Exam again later. Since your scores have not improved in the last 6 months, there are likely some fundamental issues with how you've been studying. This is all meant to say that you would likely benefit from a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) so that you can get the structure and learn the necessary Tactics to raise your scores. Thankfully, the Round 1 deadlines are still over 3 months away, so you have plenty of time to continue studying and work on your applications.

1) What is your typical weekly study routine?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by rajatsha » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:37 am
Thanks Rich for your response. I understand I have to put tremendous efforts to raise my score to 700+. I'm currently on leaves for 2-3 weeks so that I have to fully utilize this time. I don't think I would be able to do a instructor-led program. Given the amount of time I want to devote, I'll prefer only a self-study guided program.

Initially, I have followed and tried many study schedules but most of them didn't work according to my schedule which has been seriously killing. Having said that, how I have structured my weekly schedule is as follows:

1.) 60-80 questions of OG combined every day. Like 20 quant, 20 SC, 20 RC etc. This way, I'm pacing well with respect to completing the OG and move to individual OG guides for more practice.

2.) Do 3-4 hours of E-Gmat verbal daily. Video sessions, concepts with quiz pratice.

3.) Veritas Online practice daily (mixed) and one mock every Saturday

I don't have a very solid concrete plan. My goal is to practice as much as I can everyday and finish my resources as soon as I can. I have finished OG quant and almost halfway through Verbal.

Post this my plan is to get done with individual OG guides (verbal and qunat) and follow up on my MGMAT books.

The only issue is even though I started my GMAT preparation 6-7 months ago, I was not regular which I guess is an issue here. Effectively, I might have studied only 2-3 months on and off solely from MGMAT books.

A lot of the study plans I have seen are from scratch and someone who starts from very basic. I know my score are pathetic but given the prep I have done I guess I'm somewhere little less than halfway. Not sure if I'm going correct with my plan as mentioned, please guide me through the plan and what resources I should use and how effectively.

I know one thing from here is that I'm ready to give my 500% without failure as I have no option but to get my target score. I would be able to take up any rigorous plan or study. I know it's not an overnight prep but please guide me through how I can possibly reach my target score. Thanks for your help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:51 am
Hi rajatsha,

While I certainly believe that you CAN train to score at a much higher level, the information that you've provided in your last post makes it sound like you're continuing to study in the same general ways as before (you don't have much 'structure' to your studies and you're randomly working through practice questions with the goal that doing 'lots' of questions will get you to a 700+). If you want to study in this way, then that's fine, but it's not likely to get you to your goal (otherwise, you would have gotten to that level already). You likely need the many benefits of the structure of a full Course AND you need more time to study (you're likely still going to need another 3 months of consistent, guided study to hit your goals, even though you've put in some considerable study time already). I suggest that you study as you've planned to for the next 1-2 weeks and take FULL CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) as you've planned. Those CAT results will help to define whether your current study plan is working or not.

Rich

by rajatsha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 am
Thanks Rich for the detailed explanation. I agree and I understand that I still lack somewhere in my structure and planning that is why initially I was working through questions and practice but now I guess I have a plan and I know it will take more than a month. So, I'm giving myself 2 months of preparation now. Since, I did not explain my detail plan earlier, here's the one below:

Verbal:
1.) As I mentioned before, I'm studying from e-GMAT as it is not only building my concepts but also testing me with quizzes on the go and so far I have been scoring well (> 80% accuracy). Each section of Verbal takes around 2 weeks to complete. I plan to complete e-GMAT verbal by end of June. Along with this, I will be doing the OG questions as required. I'm hoping this should take care of my verbal part.

Quant:

1.) Here, I'm confused. I believe that quant is relatively easier than Verbal but my score doesn't prove it by far now. I have finished OG Quant Section and had gone through MGMAT books before (3-4 months ago).

2.) My plan here is to solve mix set of questions along with concept review on a daily basis, simultaneously with Verbal and track my performance throughout.

3.) OG Quant Review questions and solve all the OG questions again.

Since giving mocks is of utmost importance, I believe that I should give my next mock when I feel confident enough with my practice. I'm flexible to switch gears as and when needed and would want your expert advise if I should have a different study plan altogether. I'm also confused to the fact that should I start everything from scratch again (i.e. building my concepts, reading through theories - esp. quant etc.) or focus on practice and honing my weakness areas.

Two weeks from now, I have my full time job starting and then I will be able to devote as much as 3-4 hrs on weekdays and 7-8 hrs on weekends. I have the last set of following questions for which I need your advise.

1. In your view, how do you think I should plan my study from here?

2. Do I need additional resources for concept building or practice?

3. Should I start revisiting the MGMAT books as its been time I have studied those?

4. Should I really give a Mock every weekend or should I take full length tests in the end?

What I believe and you have also judged it correctly that the main reason of not getting a good score in the past was lack of regular practice and an unstructured approach. Even though I have studied a lot at times but that wasn't enough or it was infrequent to build the momentum.

Best Regards,
Rajat

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:08 pm
Hi Rajat,

Taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) at regular intervals is an essential part of the study process. If you don't want to take one every week in the early stages of your studies, then that's fine, but you should still plan to take one every 2 weeks or so. Test Day is a rather specific 'event' (it's more than just about answering GMAT questions correctly), and it takes time and repetitions to properly prepare for it. There are aspects to that day that can ONLY be trained for by taking those CATs in a realistic fashion and at regular intervals (and not saving them for the end of your studies).

Until you study a bit along with your current plan, and then take a new CAT, I don't have any additional specific advice to offer. Based on everything that you've described, I do not think that 2 months will be enough time for you to achieve your goal (it's almost certainly going to take 3+ months). Beyond learning the necessary Tactics and getting in the necessary repetitions, you've likely developed a number of 'bad habits' over the past 7 months that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits). Those improvements cannot be 'rushed.'

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:09 pm
I gave two MGMAT mocks in the last two weeks. First: 470 (Q32, V24) and second one: 420 (Q27, V23). The second one I actually gave it in frequent pauses because I couldn't concentrate on the questions as I was stuck. Also, I couldn't attempt 8-9 questions in quant and 6-7 questions in verbal because the time got over.
Rich is right that you should be taking full CATs at regular intervals. One important thing, though - your score is never going to improve if you don't fix your timing! Missing 8 questions at the end of a section is disastrous for your score, no matter how well you were doing before that.

You need to practice regularly under time constraints. When you're doing problems from the OG, use a stopwatch or Mprep Navigator to time yourself, and practice cutting yourself off and guessing when you go over 2 minutes. Then, build yourself up to doing a set of 5 questions in 10 minutes, then 10 questions in 20 minutes.

Then when you're taking CATs, be vigilant about tracking your time. Here's information on how to set up your scrap paper to track your time: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... tch-paper/ As you're going through the test, whenever you notice that you're more than 2-3 min behind time, SKIP A QUESTION within the next few questions. I recommend that every student skip at least 3, but you can skip up to 6 before it starts to hurt your score. Skip (and when I say "skip," I obviously mean "put in a guess answer," not "leave blank") the questions that - based on previous practice tests - you know that you're less likely to get right anyway. Then you'll have more time to commit to the ones that you're more likely to get right.

Here is some more info about time management:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... anagement/
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... nt-part-2/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-many-pra ... tml#738904

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by rajatsha » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:26 am
Hi Ceilidh,

Thanks for your response. I definitely understood where I'm going wrong. And I'm addressing the weaknesses post my MGMAT test 2. Although, the second test was an aberration and I would not let it define my future course, it has definitely given me a wake up call.

About the timing, I always get a nervous breakdown of looking at the clock and solving questions. Because in the meantime, I calculate how much questions I have answered and how many are pending with the given time. I went through this article "How to Set Up Your GMAT Scratch Paper", and it just solved my purpose. THANKS for this one.

I'll share my future progress soon and will let you know if I have any questions for you.

Cheers

Rajat