Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

MGMAT CAT scoring - II

by 4meonly » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 pm
Dear MGMAT representatives!

I have a question about scoring in your CATs. This topic was already discissed at https://www.beatthegmat.com/mgmat-scoring-t24304.html but there is no answer.

My question is about scores in verbal also.
Today I took one of your exams and scored 51 in quant with 4 incorrect answers (90% correct). In Verbal I scored 41 with 9 incorrect answers (80% correct)
I guess that if i have made 9 mistakes in math i would have scored nearly 45. But I've got 41.
I do not want to increase my score artificially. I am just curious how the system works.
In attachement you can find my score report.
Attachments
MGMAT.xls
(74 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 am
Hi 4meonly,

From the looks of your report, it appears that you have already gone through all 6 CAT exams twice and are on your third round of testing. You are, without a doubt, seeing questions that you have previously answered, which is why you are getting so few questions incorrect and are seeing scores heavily skewed to the upper levels of achievement on the GMAT. In brief, you cannot trust these scores to produce an accurate picture of the exam.

Additionally, it's important to dispel the notion that the more questions you get right, the better you will perform on the exam. Due to the adaptive nature of the exam, a person scoring a 700 will get the same NUMBER of questions right as someone scoring a 400. The difference is the difficulty level of the questions being asked to each person. For a more in-depth explanation of this effect, read the following article: How the GMAT Finds Your Score.

I hope this helps. If you need a new practice test for a more accurate score, look into GMATPrep, two practice exams offered by GMAC, the makers of the GMAT.

Good luck studying!

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:490

by tuscan21 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:06 am
I'd like to ask how representative and reliable is the MCAT score compared to actual GMAT's. Is the algorithm similar?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm
Hi tuscan21,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how the MCAT's scoring algorithm works! I just know about the GMAT's. However, I'd assume that things would function similarly. You might want to call the people who administer the MCAT, though, and see what they have to say.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628