MEng at Cornell : Low UnderGrad GPA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MEng at Cornell : Low UnderGrad GPA

by 123qazwsxedc321 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:00 pm
Hopefully someone can give me some advise/Insight

I graduated from a california state university with a BS in computer science : GPA 2.96.(I faced tremendous social and

cultural impediments being a international student and also lost a major source of funding for my education forcing me

to work full-time for 2 years).

Although my GPA is not stellar, I tried to supplement that fact my getting involved in various activities and organizations.

I returned to Africa for a year and volunteered at a National Game Reserve, doing database development for wild-life tracking

and also got involved in volunteer math teaching at a small rural school. Furthermore, I started an E-Strategy consultancy

firm that grew rapidly and was profitable too, employing 3 full-time people. After one year I returned to the same university

and did a M S in Quantitative Business Methods : GPA 3.45. In addition, I took courses in Sailing and became a member of

the local Yachting club. Before I graduated, I got an intersnhip offer from a top 3 Semiconductor company, and I assume

that was a big feat in itself considering I was an international Student. Within 3 months I was promoted to a full-time

position as a Project Management Analyst.

I am planning to apply to Cornell's MEng Program in 2010. Do I have any chances to get in? What scores might I need

to overcome my low undergraduate GPA (4 C's , one W )

Any information would be appreciated including other schools I might try for.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:10 pm
Can't speak for the MEng program because I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like you have a valid reason to explain your GPA and that you've been aggressively seeking other opportunities along the way. I don't think that your GPA is a deal breaker.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school