The MBA Video Essay
Today I am thanking my lucky stars that I do not have to do a video essay. I feel for everyone applying to Kellogg, Yale and Rotman. A friend of mine is a R1 applicant to Kellogg and will be among the first group of applicants to experience the video essay at that school. A lot of the MBA application process has been thoroughly documented (e.g.: how to structure an essay, pick an essay topic and how to interview), but the video essay topic has less information about it. The internet has even less Kellogg specific information about the video essay because it is their first year doing it. I wanted to help her by finding out what I could about the topic and throwing some questions out there to the folks that read my blog:
- Has anyone done the video essay yet at any of these schools?
- What are the questions they ask?
- How did you prepare?
I was able to find one good article about the subject. Basically the article suggested presenting yourself a lot like you would for an interview and preparing by practicing different essay questions in the time limit you are given. Some examples the article gives are:
- What do you do for fun?
- What are your passions, interests, and hobbies?
- If you could travel across the United States in a car with anyone, whom would you choose to travel with and why?
- What would you do on a rainy Sunday afternoon?
- How have you handled a difficult interaction? What did you learn from it?
- Describe a difficult professional decision you had to make. What were the consequences, and what, if anything, did you learn?
There are a couple of threads on the forums that didn’t give a lot of detail. Any other tips?