Ask Jeremy: Should I Consider a Pre-MBA Internship Before Going to Graduate School?
In a recent question, a reader in Houston asked me asked a question about Pre-MBA internship programs.
As usual, I did this during my first take. If anyone has any follow up questions, feel free to send them my way. See below for the question and below that for my response.
My questions are about what to do during the summer before starting your MBA.
1.) What is your take on the Pre-MBA internship programs? Particularly what is your take if you’re transitioning to a new career. Are they absolutely necessary? Do you have any tips on securing one?
2.) Besides an internship, do you suggest any other things I might do over the summer to make myself more competitive during recruiting season?
Thank you very much!
- Congrats on your acceptance.
- Pre-MBA internships are definitely catching on. Not just for MBAs but in other schools too.
- I’ve seen it in marketing, banking, finance, consulting, law, government and nonprofit.
- Two reasons: (1) Try out new career. (2) Get new experience to help you recruit once on campus.
- They are not necessary. The majority of people don’t do them.
- Nonprofits are hungry to get people over the summer