Post-MBA Summer of Firsts
As I wrote back in June in my post MBA Postpartum Syndrome the issue of the newly found free time was one of the most overwhelming challenges for part-time MBA graduates. I also shared a few plans of my own that I had for the use of the post-graduation time. Now, three months later, I can share some of the outcomes of this time-redemption effort.
As I planned, I did have a good share of socializing over the summer, including some happy hours with continuing part-time MBAs at GW School of Business. I also set on a quest for discovering new life experiences, some of which came up quite unexpectedly. So I would like just to share a few things that I experienced for the first time in my life, after graduation from MBA. Some of them became possible because of the more time available to pursue them, others – just because after three exhausting years of study/work I got some zest for life that needed some way of manifestation. The list is in no particular order, just as the things come to my mind:
- I had my first tandem skydive. One of the brightest highlights of the summer. I will, hopefully, place a short post and video of the skydive sometime.
- For the first time I bought gym membership and have been using gym regularly for the last three months.
- For the first time in life I developed love for running. I had been into hiking for most of my life, but this summer, very unexpectedly for myself, I started running and have been doing this consistently for the last three months.
- First time in life I ran for 10 km and later 10 miles in my practice runs. Got so inspired that I signed up for
- The first in my life half-marathon race. I will probably even post a picture from the finishing line. As a matter of fact, this is the very first time I signed up for any race. Once I have that nailed I will shoot for the Marine Corps Marathon in fall 2013.
- Consistent with my running enthusiasm I bought my first pair of race-grade running shoes. I also I got my first pair of hiking boots.
- Had my first accupressure and reflexology massage. Found out first-hand that it could be very painful.
- Signed up for the first post-MBA auditing course at GWSB. I am taking this course right now in Fall term and, hopefully, will write more about it later.
This is my list of things that I have done post-MBA for the first time in my life. Some of them may seem trivial, but for me all of these are remarkable milestones. What does it have to do with MBA? Not much directly, but three years of sleep and time deprivation caused me to appreciate and pursue even seemingly little things in life.