If you haven’t noticed by the numerous book giveaways on this blog yet, I love to read. If I could read all day, I would. That’s why I never pass up an opportunity to have career books sent to my mailbox and to deliver free books to your mailbox!
Today we are giving away 4 books about getting your dream job!
Recent graduates looking to enter the workforce face a discouraging job market and stiff competition for even the most entry-level positions. Yet with the right attitude and strategies, they can break into any organization in any industry and start climbing the ladder to success. When he was only 21 years old, Pete Leibman landed his “dream job,” working in the front office of the NBA’s Washington Wizards. He went on to be their #1 salesperson for three straight seasons and was promoted to management in under two years.
In I Got My Dream Job and So Can You, Leibman shares his proven and simple system for career success. He shows readers how to think big and identify what they want from their career, network their way past corporate gatekeepers, impress highly influential people in any field, land interviews for “hidden” jobs, sell themselves on paper, online, and in person, get hired faster and with less effort than they thought possible. Career hopefuls will also find inspiring stories of other young professionals, creative strategies for leveraging social media in the job-search process, and the 5 secrets that will skyrocket their earning potential once they are hired. In short, all the information they need to land the job of their dreams-in any economy.
Here are 5 things that I learned from the book about how to find your dream job:
- Most people will spend about 5 million minutes at work throughout their lives. (60 minutes in an hour, 40 hours a week, 50 weeks out of the year and 40 years of work). Better do something you LOVE!!!
- Don’t have a backup plan. Many people fail to get their dream job because they have a backup plan and they tell themselves that they might not succeed. If you are willing to do what it takes, you will eventually get your dream job.
- To be liked and respected when networking, you have to be real, enthusiastic, curious, appreciate and professional. If networking is not working for you, it might be because of how you are presenting yourself to other people.
- All networking events are not created equal. The quantity of the contacts you meet is not as important as the quality of contacts and the quantity of networking events is not as important as the quality of events. The best networking events are industry conferences or other events that Game-changers from your ideal industry will be attending for their own benefit. Don’t go to networking events that are a waste of time.
- To get your dream job, you have to constantly ask yourself, “what else can I do to stand out in a good way from my competition?” Add something extra to your application, follow-up or get endorsed or recommended.
Ready to learn how to get your dream job? Enter to win a copy of the book!
To enter: Leave a comment with your email address here. This giveaway is open to all residents in the US or Canada and it ends on June 21st, 2012 at 9pm PST. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 24 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected. Good luck!
Disclosure: I was provided me with a copy of the book to review but this did not change what I wrote about the book.