MBA Math?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Math?

by vm813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 am
Hi all, many people advise that for those with less quantitative experience they take a course in financial accounting, microeconomics or statistics prior to applying - preferably in person rather than online. If one doesn't have time to take a course before applying EA in the fall but intends to take a course the following spring or summer, should they mention that in their application and offer to follow up with grades? Or is better to take a course NOW before applying?

And lastly, anybody know anything about MBA Math (mbamath.com), Peter Regan's online program? What do admissions officers think of this program? Is it a reasonable substitute to taking a course at a local college? It seems quite thorough and they do provide a transcript, but it's not clear to me how schools look at this coursework. Would love any feedback. Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm
Hi vm813,

You've asked a great question. There is a lot that goes into your quantitative story. A course could play a role in that if positioned correctly. Work backwards from your end goal. By that I mean look at your story and work into the details. For example, do you want your quantitative skills to be average and not questioned? Do you want them to be above average? Or do you want them to be a clear differentiator? How do the schools you are looking to apply to view these skills? Once you have an answer to that, what parts of your application speak to that? What holes do you see? Which options of those available to you most clearly address those gaps?

Courses at a local college will strengthen your application if you are looking to have either your skills not questioned or be seen as average. They will never move them above average or to a differentiator. So, if your undergraduate transcript would raise some questions or cause the admissions committee to hesitate when comparing you to another equal candidate, then take the course and take them before you apply. It is stronger to say "I thought of my career, my goals, and why I wanted an MBA. Based on that conviction, I looked at what I needed to be successful and that was a stronger quantitative basis so I took these classes which is why I am a great candidate for your program" versus "I looked at my goals and why an MBA, and I will take this class before I start, which is why, after you admit me, I will become the candidate you're looking for". Does that make sense?

As for MBA Math - this is a great service and a couple of our clients have used it but they have done so once accepted to make sure they are up to speed and can hit the ground running. In my opinion it is most effective as a pre-start refresher/prep option. Having taken this course will not result in a school changing their views on your quantitative abilities.

Part of how you position your skills will come down to the building blocks you have available and part of it will come down to where you are applying. I hope this helped answer your question and if you have any additional questions, just ask!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Apply Point » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 am
Thank you for your inquiry.

Business schools typically don't require you to take courses in accounting, statistics, economics or finance before you start. Remember, your classmates are coming from all walks of life -- a diverse set of industries and educational backgrounds -- so schools assume the core of their business management fundamentals will be taken in the first semester. That said, it is definitely helpful to take these courses, if you don't have any familiarity with the concepts. I advise you to take the courses when you can devote the most time and get the most out of it. Let admissions directors know your plans with taking these classes in your application or in application updates, after you've submitted the application, but remember, this is typically not a requirement.

MBA Math is wonderful, but many programs will require you to take this after you've been admitted and before you start classes. It is great preparation, but it is not a substitute for the more comprehensive courses you can take in accounting/finance/micro-economics/statistics.

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best.
Mary Pat Jacobs
Director, Apply Point Admissions Consulting
www.applypoint.net

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MBAAdmissionsCoach » Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 am
Bhavik and Mary Pat have given great advice here relative to strengthening your quantitative profile in the application process.

I'd like to add a few additional thoughts.

Taking courses to improve your quantitative skills set may benefit you in the application process. However, it will likely provide a greater benefit when you are an MBA student. If you have a limited quantitative background (academically speaking), then you'll be able to go into the MBA program with greater confidence in your quant skills if you've taken a few courses.

MBA programs are incredibly stressful. The pace is fast, and the work is hard.

While MBA programs welcome the diversity that a non-quantitative candidate brings to the classroom, I've seen these candidates struggle mightily when it comes to Accounting, Statistics and especially Finance. (I was previously the Director of MBA Admissions and I always followed the performance of candidates to assess if our admissions metrics were accurately predicting academic success in the MBA program.)

So, if you have time before you begin the program, take advantage of the opportunity to take classes in these quantitative subjects. You'll be glad that you did when you're an MBA student!

All the best,

Wendy

Gaining
I love to talk about MBA admissions with MBA applicants! If you find my posts helpful, please take a moment to click the "thank" icon at the top of the page and/or follow me!

Wendy Flynn
MBA Admissions Coach
[email protected]
https://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com

Blog: MBA Expert Insights: https://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com/blog

Facebook: https://www.Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach

Twitter: https://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn

Member of AIGAC: Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants

by OurLegacySV » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am
I read on another forum about using Straighterline to take online courses for accounting/finance/micro-economics/statistics. I know a few of the public policy schools were accepting course work through them. Wondered if it would be acceptable to bschools as well?

by hnoor0055 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:31 pm
They will never move them above average or to a differentiator. So, if your undergraduate transcript would raise some questions or cause the admissions committee to hesitate when comparing you to another equal candidate, then take the course and take them before you apply.