MBA from non-profit

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA from non-profit

by overcap » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 am
Hi - wondered if you could spare 5mins to evaluate my profile?

So here is the issue: I want to do an MBA at a top school (UK / USA), but all my permanent work experience is in the not-for-profit sector.

Questions:

1. How can I best position myself? - Should I leave my current job and get private sector experience? or is my profile strong enough? What could strengthen my profile?

2. What schools should I target? Do I have a realistic chance of a scholarship considering not-for-profit background (or GMAT/GPA too low?)?

3. Assuming the worst case GMAT (680), then what?

Thanks a lot!

Work Experience: 3 years on highly competitive (100+ applicants per place etc.) programme at top not for profit (think global, think huge). Ranked in top 10% of employees every year. 3 promotions, 3 years. Experience in project management, strategy, organisational change.

Internships while at university: 2 x investment banking (tier 1 firm); 2 x consulting at (tier 2 firm).

Education: Oxford University (UK): high, but not super high 2.1 (probably converts to 3.5/3.6 GPA?). Not a business / economics related subject.

Leadership & other stuff: 6 years tutoring/mentor school children; 6 years coaching soccer to under 16s; president of moderate society at university (200+ members); represented university in competitive sports (2 years); numerous other smaller positions at university; prefect at school etc.

GMAT: Not taken. Scoring 680-710 in mocks. Could score higher if I had more time to prep (which I don't).

Why MBA? Short term goal (straight after MBA): to work in healthcare / education sector. Long term goal (5 years post MBA): to start a business in healthcare / education sector.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:31 am
Hi overcap,

Thanks for your post and for sharing your profile details.

To respond to your questions,

1. No, you absolutely do not need private sector experience before applying to business school. The admissions officers will review your career progression, level of responsibility, impact, international experience, etc. in your nonprofit role as indicators of your potential success in corporate roles. It appears you have been a strong performer, so this should be a strength of your candidacy. Your nonprofit experience will also help you stand out in the process.

2. Assuming you score in the 700-710 range, I suggest considering the following schools: Wharton, Fuqua, Haas, Kellogg, MIT, and Anderson. These schools all have strong healthcare offerings and are a nice mix of competitiveness for your profile.

3. Assuming you score around 680, I suggest dropping Wharton and MIT from the list and consider adding Ross and Darden.

Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] for a free detailed profile evaluation.

Best,
Heidi
Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our award-winning blog for daily MBA admissions updates
Use our b-schools dashboard for your MBA program research
Download our publications on b-schools and admissions strategy
Visit our MBA interview archive to read and share interview insights