Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Chances at USC/UCLA

by crzylaker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:04 pm
I would like to get an idea of my chances at USC/UCLA. Here is my info:

-2010 graduate of UCSB Business Economics w/ Accounting emphasis, GPA 3.2
-2013 graduate of CSULB Master of Public Administration, GPA 3.9
-Working for the Department of Defense in Auditing for 3 1/2 years but looking to move possibly into consulting or some other finance related line of work
-Hoping to score a 700 on the GMAT

I know USC has an average gpa admitted of 3.1 and UCLA of 3.5. However, what are my chances of getting into these schools? Any feedback given is appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:32 pm
crzylaker wrote:I would like to get an idea of my chances at USC/UCLA. Here is my info:

-2010 graduate of UCSB Business Economics w/ Accounting emphasis, GPA 3.2
-2013 graduate of CSULB Master of Public Administration, GPA 3.9

<<snip>>

I know USC has an average gpa admitted of 3.1 and UCLA of 3.5. However, what are my chances of getting into these schools? Any feedback given is appreciated.

Dear Crzylaker,

Here are a few points for you to consider regarding your question:
  1. The two schools are in a fairly different league so you need to assess your chances at the two schools independently.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, I wouldnt go into predicting the chances. But in terms of profile, it is not clear what you mean by consulting or finance. There are various kinds of consulting; finance too is a VERY broad term. You have to zero in on the right post-MBA goal which also helps you leverage your audit experience.
  3. For UCLA, a higher GMAT score will definitely help matters. In case you are not already taking professional help on that, it would be worth exploring.
  4. Final word of advice would be to spread your net wider and apply to a few more schools.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com