MBA After 30? Worth it?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

MBA After 30? Worth it?

by gauravjha » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:22 am
Hi,
I had been planning to do an MBA from a very long time. But due to some factors I had not been able to apply. I even took GMAT 4 years back, got a decent 740(2nd attempt).

And still I haven't gone for MBA.

A brief about my profile: I am a regular India IT Male. With 7 years of experience in software industry. I am got into a mid level Individual Contributor role in company, but the path from here seems stagnat. Also, I don't feel the work I am doing interesting.

So, this brings to my question. Should I go for a full time MBA now? I really want to do an MBA, but have few concerns:
1. How would my career shape up?
2. Will schools accept a regular SOftware professional with so much of experience to be worth for MBA class?
3. I want to only go for ISB MBA, since I want to work in Asia pacific region post MBA. By doing this am I limiting my options? What other 1 year MBA I can approach for?
4. Will the profiles offered after MBA, be suitable with my level of experience. I want to know both role and financial progress that I would get.
5. I want to change my industry post MBA. Want to make a shift to Consulting(Strategy is my choice). Is it possible to make career(functional) shift after such a huge experience in IT Industry?
6. Also, what role people with similar experience level are offered post MBA across industry? (Finance, IT, Marketing etc.)
7. Last, but most important, I have to take GMAT again. If some one can share a good study plan which I should follow, that'll be awesome.

If some can shed light on above issues, that would really help me to make a decision.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Slappy Sanchez » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:56 am
Do it!

I am in the same boat with you, and I know how you feel about wanting to make the change post 30. If you want a study partner I am here for you (I am retaking the gmat after not getting the score I wanted).

What schools are you looking at?